World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

back at my laptop after a good night's fishing last night.

My wee nephew and I hit Potmuck last night and fished the harbour from 7.30pm. There were a lot of kids swimming in the harbour to start so we decided to fish out in the bay using bigger rods and reels.

My nephew's first cast produced a small wrasse, he hadn't caught a fish for months so the smile on his face was a picture. We continued with the longer distance casting until the kids all cleared form the harbour. We then broke out the spinning rods and lures - first cast - BANG - mackerel - 1.5lb, second cast - BANG - coalfish 1.5lb, it continued like this the rest of the night plus the big rods kept us busy.

We ended the night at 11pm with 13 fish - mackerel, coalfish, small pollack, wrasse and a dogfish.

Great fun and very enjoyable, I was well happy for the nephew because I honestly think he was losing heart in the fishing because he had been catching sod all recently.

The only drawback was that he bust my chops the whole way home asking when we are going back!!!!!

Here's a pic of him with the last fish he caught back in May.

GG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
GGG,

Pleased for you and your wee nephew. Seems like you had a good night.

Woodster

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Woodster.

I'll be heading back there on Saturday....

That Thornback you got must have been a cracker.... I've never heard of any caught around N Ireland but I've seen them on TV - look like fun.

GG

·
Registered
224 Posts
great results gg. its tough keeping kids interested in fishing if their not catching, well done. what kind of ground are you fishing over there?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright Fergal?

at the harbour/bay part of Portmuck the ground is pretty clean - no real snags to worry about but you can move off to the right of the harbour and the terrain gets very rocky. I'm going to try the rockier ground this weekend for some pollack and bass....

I know you have a boat Fergal - there is a slipway at the harbour and there were a few small boats launching from here when I was there on Monday night - people seemed to be bringing in fish from the boats too....

Head for Whitehead on the A2 and follow signs for Islandmagee then Portmuck, when you get into Portmuck, you will see a 'No through Road' sign, this takes you down a steep lane to the harbour. Make sure your brakes are good on the motor!!

GG

·
Registered
2 Posts
lo mate,
I was actually up at portmuck last weekend for a few hours, did'nt have quite
as good a catch as yourselves. We were there early afternoon got 1 small wrasse of the rocks, and 4 small monkfish of the end of the pier.
We also tried fishing of the rocks to the far right of the harbour facing the island,
but the ground is very rough there an we lost a lot of lead. Hopefully i'm heading down to orlock this weekend.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mac,

I've been to Portmuck before and caught very little but Monday night surprised me too....

We are going to try again this weekend but we might go to the ledges at Red Bay as well.

Where is orlock? Never heard of there before...

GG

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
glengormley-gavin said:
Cheers Woodster.

I'll be heading back there on Saturday....

That Thornback you got must have been a cracker.... I've never heard of any caught around N Ireland but I've seen them on TV - look like fun.

GG
GG,

It was like reeling in a dustbin lid, kids loved it, going look daddy's caught a sting ray. Wife not to happy may her go back to caravan to get camera.

Woodster

PS. Check Sun 07 Aug Southwest Forum for my latest fishing adventures, hope I do not blank?????!!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hehehehe

It was the least the missus could do!

Did you keep for the table or did she go back? I'm not sure f you can munch those babies - hence the question.

GG

·
Registered
224 Posts
i love trying new spots so i'll keep port muck in mind for my next trip. got a new motor there and i cant get the toe bar fitted till next week therefor no boat haulin till the following week. getting cabin fever here :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi again Gavin,

Orlock is jus outside groomsport on the road to donaghadee, bit of a trek from the main road, but apparently worth it for reasonable sized doggies.
This will be my first trip down that way so i'll keep ya posted. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
it was a good fight wasent it dat nite was k as wel wat was it 4 dogs 4 u and1 4 me and a cuple of whitein as wel hope we get da same as dat da morra wen i was holdin it it nere bit mi finger off :confused

·
Registered
4 Posts
Me and the cousins used to do night fishing from the peir years ago at Portmuck. We always had good craic, even if we wern't catching. It's good to hear its alive again up their. Must try it again some time.
Is there still no camping up there? would be up for a evening and early morning fishing weekend if camping was alowed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
it was a **** day today today 4 u today wasen't it an alright day 4 me and shean but not da best r u goin on monday night again it was fun crab fishin and tell me if there is any more reels on ebay that u are goin to bid on 4 me and wat is hapin with ur reel about the brake

1 - 15 of 15 Posts