World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out today for the first time for a while near Portpatrick. Fished on the up for 4 hours and an hour after. Lovely sunny day, moderate seas, light breeze. Fished mainly with 3 x 1/0 clipped down rigs and combination baits of frozen sandeel, squid and razor. Used 2 rods on my new rod rest Daiwa Tournament with adjustable legs which coped well with the uneven rock mark. Caught 6 dogfish, 2 whiting (under 1lb each) and a Bass of 3lb. Expected to blank so well pleased. Did a test, on the use of WD 40, all fish caught were with bait sprayed with WD 40, all unsprayed bait caught nothing. Maybe it means nothing as the variables are great but I will certainly use it again. Might have been because the sea was very coloured and the fish homed in on the scent? Great to be out, March fishing Ok.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Nice report mate, good to hear of fish being caught, and the bass was a bonus. Peterthefisherman, Andy and I are going to give Carsethorn a go on Saturday, so hope for a wee bit of sport down this end also.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Out today for the first time for a while near Portpatrick. Fished on the up for 4 hours and an hour after. Lovely sunny day, moderate seas, light breeze. Fished mainly with 3 x 1/0 clipped down rigs and combination baits of frozen sandeel, squid and razor. Used 2 rods on my new rod rest Daiwa Tournament with adjustable legs which coped well with the uneven rock mark. Caught 6 dogfish, 2 whiting (under 1lb each) and a Bass of 3lb. Expected to blank so well pleased. Did a test, on the use of WD 40, all fish caught were with bait sprayed with WD 40, all unsprayed bait caught nothing. Maybe it means nothing as the variables are great but I will certainly use it again. Might have been because the sea was very coloured and the fish homed in on the scent? Great to be out, March fishing Ok.

What tactics did you use to catch the bass (spinning!!):yahoo:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Kimbo. I caught it on bait, Razor and it was a double, Doggie on bottom hook of sandeel and Bass on 2nd hook on razor. I wouldn't bother with lures at this time of year.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Another forum user "Madmaxie" went to portratrick tonight so lets hope the fish are still about.

Cheers:thumbs:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Another forum user "Madmaxie" went to portratrick tonight so lets hope the fish are still about.

Cheers:thumbs:
The max went to portpatrick , got seven dogfish, within a short time, bait was sandeel, razor mackerel , squid, I tried the w d 40 test, holy **** , had two rods baited , one with wd40, the other just the bait, all were caught with the wd40, my mate tried without wd40 all night and not a thing, few bites though, but hey seven to max, caught first 2 on same line, my first double take, :clap: :yeah: so for me it was s good night , WD40 REALLY WORKS

·
Registered
797 Posts
think i'll have to try this wd 40 lark sound's like it's working for everyone i'm going out tomorrow so i'll give it a go then

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Well done guys - I have never tried the WD 40 - BUT PROBABLY WILL SOON

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good to hear of your result Max and glad you tried the same technique as me. But we need to be careful, might just be Portpatrick Doggies who go for WD40, we are not very sophisticated down here. The rest of Scottish fish might go for bait soaked in Whisky, possibly single malt, or Buckfast, probably not Irn Bru.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I alway carry a Small tin o WD40 just incase the bites are slow you know. Nice to see a Bass being Caught and nowt wrong with a good Doggie sesh either.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the Bass was probably just pure luck, if they are there they will bite, but as Dabhand said it was a real bonus.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Just made a concoction tonight in my shed of sardine oil/strained juices from 3 dozen mussel/ sprayed with wd 40.
Put it in the freezer for now, but hope to coat some baits with it to fish next week.It might be too much of a mix or a clash of scents but hey you never know.

Will post any results up..... heres hoping!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts