World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out early 6.00 am to fish to full tide at 8.50 and 2 hours after. Sea quite calm and lovely sunny day. Used frozen bait, razor, sand eel and mackerel on 3 hook rigs. Total fish caught 3 LSD all quite large, 2 flounder (under a lb each) and 2 plaice one which was just over a lb. Dogs caught on sand eel, flatties on razor. All caught with tide on rise after full tide nothing. All fish returned.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Quite a productive morning, three species, looks good and things should start picking up nicely now. Nice to hear of plaice being caught, one of my favourites. Got a few peeler today, off to Rough Firth tomorow and Carsethorn on Sun. if I can get a few more crabs, perhaps a wee bit early for bass at those marks, yet never do know.

·
Team Hardcore(Scotland)
940 Posts
nice report there mate .

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
hope i do as well ,still a bit rusty,after 20odd years away from serious shorefishing, going down to terally tomorrow ,unfortunately ma new beachcaster didnae arrive today so i will have to make do with my auld 484c ,

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
No coalies? further down the coast at Port Logan and Back Ardwell Bay all i can get in any numbers is decent coaly up to 3lb, a few small pollack up to 2lb and a few odd gurnard from the boat and the shore. We had 28 coalies, 4 pollack and 2 gurnard from the boat off Logan on Wednesday. And last night at Ardwell Bay all we could manage where 5 coalies and a pollock from the shore. I did have a big mackerel off the boat in Luce Bay on Tuesday gone though. Godd report and nice catch, i wish i had had managed a few plaice! Although a bit puzzled as to no small coalies or pollack as there seems to be plenty of coalie at the moment falling to rag, lug, snadeel, mackerel, hokkais, Mustad shrimp rigs, jellies and Toby's you name it i caught them on it over the last week!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
:icecream: well a nice day weather wise. i dont usually fish an ebb tide but since my wife was with me we just had a picnic on port logan beach ,but had two rods out just the same. was reeling in to pack up and surprise a fish ,i think it was a turbot ,round and beautiful markings, just a small one though,but chuffed to bits as its the first one ive ever caught ,its nice to be back at the sea angling:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've caught a few Turbot down there but all very small (under a lb), one small as a 50p piece which I caught on a lure dragged along the sand with a 3/0 treble on it and it wasn't foul hooked. But they are cracking fish and seem to swim back OK after release. I often wonder what is the largest caught in this area. It must be nice to be back to sea fishing and that's the beauty of it, you are never certain of what you might catch!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I've caught a few Turbot down there but all very small (under a lb), one small as a 50p piece which I caught on a lure dragged along the sand with a 3/0 treble on it and it wasn't foul hooked. But they are cracking fish and seem to swim back OK after release. I often wonder what is the largest caught in this area. It must be nice to be back to sea fishing and that's the beauty of it, you are never certain of what you might catch!
it was about ten inches long ,and it swam away ok, there has been some big ones caught in luce bay ,i was told,yes thats always been the magic, you dont know what you might reel in,and yes it really is good to be back,i can see my pike tackle being dual purpose now,i think deep down sea angling has always been my no 1 method
and i do most except coarse match,,, neil

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Not that it means a great deal. but does give an indication as to size of local turbot, a member of Loch Ryan club holds the S.W. shore record with a fish of 2lb. 13oz. 12 dr. and the boat record by a member of the same club is 16 lb. The boat record for brill is open, yet I've seen a double fig. one caught by long line at Portwilliam.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
There was a lot of small brill and turbot at Port Logan last year just in the bay. They were only a few inches long, but there were loads of them under your feet when you were launching your boat. i have never hooked one there though yet, and have still to manage a plaice from the shore at logan. Although i find that ther best mark for plaice up there is the yellow isle, had a few up there to over 2lb last year.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Caught a Plaice today at Yellow Isle it was under a lb but saved me blanking which would have been a first this year and first time for ages no doggies about.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Yeah the plaice about there at the moment are a bit thin after spawing. I know its an easy mrak but it always throws up fish, and it is the mark where i have most consistantly caught plaice over there. Don't forget your green and black beads!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts