World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
There are reports that the cod are still in the area, with two being caught within 10mins of each other on a charter boats maiden trip,, the first 33lbs and the 2nd 20 something, big whiting to 3lbs are still around and now the weather has abated for a bit things should be good, the water will be very coloured up and the use of attractors is advised to give the lunkers a clue. whiting are best fished for with a paternoster rig the first hook being about a foot off the bottom and the second 12-14" above that to stop the pout wrecking your rig use three way swivels so that when they spin they don't ruin the rig. bait, small squid or oiled mackerel strip will get the biggies hooks 1/0 aberdeens or circle hooks, if your using circle hooks do not strike just wind into them, tight lines

&

·
0 Posts
Hi Gus,

Thanks for the info, very interesting, a 30lb+ cod, wow!! We have had Cod down at Weymouth but they've been very difficult to find only a few boats reporting, best probably touching 20lb (as far as i'm aware).

Lot's of Whiting though, and i too use the method you describe.

I've tried hockeyes (reds and whites) on several trips, in slacker waters (through high tides and 1st 25% of ebb). I tried them baited with virtually everything you can think of, and as "cocktails", mackerel, rag, lug, squid.

The skippers tell me there ideal and they all recommend them, i searched all round the swim, but not a touch. Although the boat did'nt take bumper catches on any occasion, rag tipped with mackerel or rag and squid on paternosters were the correct tactics.

Do you have success with Hockeyes out of Portsmouth, any advice on how to fish them would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers "Lofty"

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi mate I use the paternoster rig as described with glow grubs and small stips of mackerel/squid using this rig my fishing buddy and I got 135 whiting against 5 others getting 109 between them all but the biggies for the table went back and yours truly won £100 for my trouble I've modded the normal rig for paternoster a bit to off set pout twisting the rig to bits If you would like one let me have your addy and I'll send one for you to copy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts