World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be coming down next friday for ten days staying with some friends.

Would appreciate some advice on best venues for a decent variety of fish, and not just tiddlers. Any type, beach, pier, rock marks all welcome.

Also any ideas on which is the best charter boat to get in that area.

Much appreciated.

James

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Hi James, I am unsure how the local beaches are fishing at this moment in time,but i have used many of the charter boats over the years and in my honest opinion the best ones would be: Portsmouth-Sea Juicer skippered by Rob Hickin, or Langstone-Torbay Belle skippered by Dave Adams. I would be inclined to book in advance as the boats are generally booked at this time of year with the smoothounds about in numbers

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Weather forecast for the next week is a bit crap to say the least:sad: Tides aren't brilliant either with late evening lows rather than late evening floods...

Wednesday night if the forecast is correct I'll probably be fishing Browndown Bay over low tide. Park in the car park at the west end of Stokes Bay Road and then walk along the shingle to at least the mushroom (you will know what it is when you see it!) Fish a 2 hook flapper with small hooks and rag tipped with squid bait for Bream, small smoothound, Red Mullet, Pout, Whiting and maybe Sole if you are lucky.

Unfortunately the main run of Smoothound has probably finished for the year so it is scratching around at the mo. If you don't mind fishing till the early hours the Town Quay Southampton may be worth a go for the chance of Bass and Sole. Otherwise keep checking the forums if you have internet access to see what is around.

Good luck anyways:fishing:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks.

Do you have any directions. Say from the HMS Sultan ( I know where that is!!) Or failing that the car park next to the Ferry Terminal in Gosport.

Thank you, may see you there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Many thanks.

Do you have any directions. Say from the HMS Sultan ( I know where that is!!) Or failing that the car park next to the Ferry Terminal in Gosport.

Thank you, may see you there.

Drive past HMS sultan down to the roundabout (pub on left handside) go str8 over roundabout into Gomer Lane drive for about half mile until another roundabout and take the first turning into stokes bay.. you will see a large car park on the right hand side. Browndown is a short treck across the beach to the right as you look out to sea.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you.

I know where you are on about now, just did not know it was called that.

May see a few of you there.

Any other advice/tips /venues????

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd be tempted to head a mile or two west to Lee-on-Solent, fish in front of the shops around the amusement arcade. You'll have a decent chance of smoothound and bass on crab, ray and bass on mackerel fillet. Lots of bream about stripping baits at the moment though I'd suggest going for the bigger baits/hooks and sitting it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts