World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have now had my first sea fishing experience while working away.

Fishing off the coast at Portsmouth on ragworm with improvised kit (heavy lure rod 6,6 long, baitcaster reel). Used a size 1/0 worm hook and 3oz lead, as you can tell it was defiantly bodged together but I caught!

Ended up with 12 small bass nothing over 2lb and one smooth hound at 1.5 lb.

Needless to say it's more than the fish that's hooked after that session.

Right now I'm looking at getting a full beach casting setup ready to hit it a bit more refined.

I must admit I'm a little lost as to what to buy, all I know is I want a multiplayer reel not fixed spool. Normally I'm a pike fisherman on lures so multiplier style reels are what I'm used to.

I'm looking at a general use setup as I live nowhere near the coast I'm based in Nottinghamshire so will be used when on holidays or day trips out. So setting up for a specific coastline will not be sensible and a compromise will be needed.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Well done mate I bet u had fun with the bass on the light gear. What's ur budget for a set up and what do u need? Rod, reel, line, shockleader, tripod etc

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need a full setup rod, reel, line, shockleader, leads the full works.

albeit cost isn't to critical but as it's only for a small proportion of the year I was thinking £250-£300. If that's not really enough that can go up as it was only occasional use it doesn't need to be spectacular but I do want it to be functional. The last thing I want is to spend all my time on the bank frustrated with rubbish gear.

Hope that makes sense.

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
That makes sense to me mate. And with that budget u could get a decent set up. Considering u will only be using it occasionally u could look at the imax fr match plus, cracking rods, iv used one myself and I constantly hear people saying on here that they get used more than there zziplex or century rods. They are around £120. But u could get something cheaper like a Shakespeare agility which are also highly recommended rods at around £50 or a sonik sks black which are around £70 or even a Penn rampage at around £100. It's always worth a look on the classifieds on here as there is sometimes a decent second hand rod in ur budget. Same goes for reels always worth keeping an eye out for a decent second hand reel. As for reels have a look at a daiwa slosh 20 or a 7ht or a Penn fathom 15. As for line u will need an 18 to 20lb mainline and a 60 to 80lb shockleader. Get yourself some 5 or 6oz grip leads and maybe a few 4oz rolling leads. Tripods u should look at Ian golds or a Parker there both around £30 to £40. U coukd make ur own rigs but if ur only going occasionally it might be worth just buying some pre tied rigs to start with. Get some 2 and 3 hook flapper rigs maybe some fixed pat rigs with various hook sizes. But if u wanted to tie your own rigs you will need a few packs of hooks in different sizes, some lead links, swivels, beads, crimps, bait stops, rig body, hook snoods and I think that's it. Don't forget a good head torch if u will be fishing at night. A good pair of scissors, a disgorger. And I think that's it. Let me know if u have any more questions mate :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comprehensive reply,

That has given me a good starting point for things to consider and look into further, Appreciate it.

Looking forward to this weekend getting over to Dorset for a while. Got a boat fishing day booked on the 8th (albeit I get very sea sick so 8 hours on a boat could be interesting) and taking the lure rods for the marina around west bay. fingers crossed its as eventful as my working trip to Portsmouth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts