World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Bit embarrassed to ask this but if you don't ask you don't get as they say!

I decided to take a trip to Portsoy rocks today with the spinning gear. Printed out the directions from Flounder Al's website and found the right car park. Parked the car and headed up the track past the white bungalow. At this point there was a choice of route. The track continued straight on up the hill and appeared to going up to a farm. There was a right turn on the track as well which had an Aberdeenshire council wooden post pointing in that direction (towards the rocks). I took the right turn and headed towards the rocks. Did I take the correct route to find the marks or do you go straight up the track at the junction to the coast further on?

When I got near to the rocks I couldn't for the life of me find anywhere to get down to the rocks which wouldn't involve me probably falling head first into the sea! Is it just me? Are the marks easy to find and get to? It would have been great to have had a guide with me! I don't have the greatest head for heights but I'm not usually too bad. But it seemed affy precarious and I didn't fancy ending up a bloody pulp at the bottom of the cliffs.

Any advice/photos of the marks/offers of assistance gratefully and humbly received!

All the best

Gerry

·
Registered
127 Posts
I fished there a couple of weeks ago and got a couple of decent pollack spinning with jelly worms. I posted a CR with pics, so see if u can find it by going back through the scotland forum. You did the right thing by turning right. You just need to find a place where u can get down within casting distance. None of it is what I would call easy fishing, and probably best to fish with someone. plenty of options there though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep saw your report - very nice fish!

I guess it didn't help today that there was a really strong buffeting wind blowing. Which didn't make it feel very secure when I tried to descend down the grassy bits. Do you have to fish from very high up there - ie from the grassy bits? It didn't seem that there were any convenient rocky platforms which were accessible close to the water.

Cheers

Gerry

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Most of the areas that are close by that have platforms are a bit above water level never tried further round yet but there must be a few areas that get you near to the waters edge. As you say most of the marks are tricky climbs and it would be best if you fished in the company of others from a safety point of view.

G

·
It would have been great to have had a guide with me! I don't have the greatest head for heights but I'm not usually too bad. But it seemed affy precarious and I didn't fancy ending up a bloody pulp at the bottom of the cliffs.
Hiya Gerry

When you next want to go there, give me a shout and i'll show you a few spots :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.