World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
im off on my holls for a week up to portsoy about 25 miles to the right of elgin
any one know of any good spots harbours, beaches,piers
whats being caught at the mo ?

thanks if you can help

·
Registered
928 Posts
depends on what you are looking to catch!!!!

portsoy has 2 harbours, the old one always produces flounder the newer one has some good sized conger. also an old open air swimming pool and off the point there you will get mackerel flounder wrasse pollock
5 miles along the coast you have sandend which produces flounder, turbot, coalies and bass another few miles you have cullen which pruduces the same with conger at the harbour.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Cullen might be better later on in the evening if you choose to give it a whirl.
Not so many DOGS.
It can get quite busy during the finer days.
Tackle shop in Cullen, just down the main drag.....if you need any bits n bobs.
I tried down at Macduff lighthouse again this morning for a Mackerel or two for the pan, but only managed the one. Seems to be either a feast or a famine down there. Heck of a lot of Sandeels on the go!
You can try the Sea Trout a bit further along the coast at either Speybay or Kingston beach (tickets £10, but that covers a year...from Garmouth post office)
There are one or two stillwaters not to far away either, so theres another option if you do a bit with the fly.

Have a good holiday

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys
sounds better then down here
what bate is good rag lug ? and is it easy to get hold of ?

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
m8 said whitehills for maccy
try lennys hole at cullen for turbot.:boxing:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi Keith,
The best mark is the old outdoor swimming pool,its just to the east of Portsoy (LHS). If approching from Elgin, turn left after the last field with a crop growing on it, (barley), then turn second left (Park Rd) then just follow the tarred road till it goes down the steep hill to the pool. follow the RHS concrete wall of the pool and head out to the point of the rock, the RHS is VERY snaggy, but straight out, and to the LHS, is very clean sand. you will get flatties , makkie, wrasse and coaley among other species. You are fishing into deep water, even at low tide, I find it fishes best an hour before low tide, probably because you can get further out on the rock, but I find it fishes well at all tides
Enjoy your Holiday, Johnny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts