World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another short visit to Thamesmead, the whiting seem to have gone now, bit of a blow really, now I have found out how to catch the on ultra light gear. Today's trip was meant to be flounder on LRF tactics as the tide started to flood, in very shallow water however due to road closures en-route I missed the start of the flood.

As I was late the water was already covering the ground, so I adopted an alternative tactic, a mini 2 hook flapper and a 10 gram grip lead. The bottom snood was about 6 inches long and the top about 3, allowing 1 hook to lay on the bottom and the second to wave around about 6 inches above.

First cast produced a smelt on the top hook, could have been a PB but as it is 50 years since I last caught one, it's difficult to compare. It did smell of cucumber and had an impressive set of teeth. In hind sight a drop shot would have probably been a better choice.

I put a conventional flounder rig out on a flattie rod at 60 yards and picked up my first flounder of the year and on the first cast.
Flatfish Fish Tail Fish

After that nothing else bothered my offerings, I persevered with LRF gear using jigs and even a baited spoon but to no avail so still waiting for my first LRF flounder

·
Registered
381 Posts
Another short visit to Thamesmead, the whiting seem to have gone now, bit of a blow really, now I have found out how to catch the on ultra light gear. Today's trip was meant to be flounder on LRF tactics as the tide started to flood, in very shallow water however due to road closures en-route I missed the start of the flood.

As I was late the water was already covering the ground, so I adopted an alternative tactic, a mini 2 hook flapper and a 10 gram grip lead. The bottom snood was about 6 inches long and the top about 3, allowing 1 hook to lay on the bottom and the second to wave around about 6 inches above.

First cast produced a smelt on the top hook, could have been a PB but as it is 50 years since I last caught one, it's difficult to compare. It did smell of cucumber and had an impressive set of teeth. In hind sight a drop shot would have probably been a better choice.
View attachment 316864

I put a conventional flounder rig out on a flattie rod at 60 yards and picked up my first flounder of the year and on the first cast.
View attachment 316865

After that nothing else bothered my offerings, I persevered with LRF gear using jigs and even a baited spoon but to no avail so still waiting for my first LRF flounder
lrf flounder eh? Sandwich bay, adjacent to the golf course, low tide, walk out 40 metres in waders into a foot of water, turn round, cast a 4g jig head and a 1 inch grub back at the beach and hop it back with long pauses, enjoy!

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,950 Posts
Perseverance and the flounder will come, don't worry be happy :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
I work in London during the week and have always wondered if there's an accessible evening's fishing nearby. Was thinking of trying Gallion's reach marina at some point. Has anyone ever tried there?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't fish that side of the Thames but I believe Rainham Marshes can be quite productive, have a look on the SE forum, there will be plenty of info there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts