World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taken my Abu 6500 Mag Hi-Speed apart and given it a re grease and soak and oil bearings etc. Reel seems to be running really smooth and everything working fine. The only thing that’s worrying me is when I spin the handle and stop the handle in mid spin the spool carries on spinning and slows down with a ratchet type noise. I can’t remember it doing this before and I think the spool should just stop when the handle stops.

Anyone got any ideas if this is normal or what I have done wrong. I did take the left hand side plate off also and cleaned that side up, took me a while to work out how to get it back together though, but it did go back ok with the magnets and ratchet both working as they should.
Also, when I disengage the reel and spin the spool by hand I can get the spool to spin for approx 10 seconds with mags off and the tension adjusted so there is just a very small amount of movement side to side on the spool. Is this ok or should it be quicker i.e. spin for longer. I soaked the bearings in lighter fluid for 10 mins and put 2 drops of rocket oil, 1 in each side of the bearing.

Can’t fault this forum, loads of help with a few problems I have had and I have no doubt someone will be able to answer this one.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Just taken my Abu 6500 Mag Hi-Speed apart and given it a re grease and soak and oil bearings etc. Reel seems to be running really smooth and everything working fine. The only thing that’s worrying me is when I spin the handle and stop the handle in mid spin the spool carries on spinning and slows down with a ratchet type noise. I can’t remember it doing this before and I think the spool should just stop when the handle stops.

Anyone got any ideas if this is normal or what I have done wrong. I did take the left hand side plate off also and cleaned that side up, took me a while to work out how to get it back together though, but it did go back ok with the magnets and ratchet both working as they should.
Also, when I disengage the reel and spin the spool by hand I can get the spool to spin for approx 10 seconds with mags off and the tension adjusted so there is just a very small amount of movement side to side on the spool. Is this ok or should it be quicker i.e. spin for longer. I soaked the bearings in lighter fluid for 10 mins and put 2 drops of rocket oil, 1 in each side of the bearing.

Can’t fault this forum, loads of help with a few problems I have had and I have no doubt someone will be able to answer this one.

Thanks again!
I'm sure someone will advise how to speed the reel up but I'd leave it safe for fishing. All my ABUs will do as you describe if spinning the spool then engaging the handle with it still spinning. I wouldn't worry....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I just cant remember it doing that before but if your does the same then I am ok.

I do want my reel for fishing not the field but I do want it to run reasonably quick. I have no intention of removing mags and changing the bearings etc, I just want a nice smooth, clean, reasonably quick reel, which is not going to birdie on me every cast.

I am curious about how fast / slow it is running and I do enjoy having a play with it but as you said I want to keep it relatively sane for fishing!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Ive got the same issue with a hi speed mag and the ratchet noise. Im not so sure its normal tho as my green mag doesnt do that?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
the rachet type noise is normal if you try to stop your handle turning whilst the spool is spinning if you have not pushed the free spool button it is the pinnion gear bouncing of of the spool drive cog if it did not do this the spool would stop at the same time as the handle or break

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
never fear its all good, they all do it. it happens when the drive re-engages during a cast as well most of the time not enough to save a snap off but sometimes it dose. as for speeding them up i found both of mine VERY slow they both now run with no brake blocks, the magnets 3 from off, and with tournament rocket fuel in the bearings, and this is safe, well for me anyway. each to there own if ya need any tips on speeding up etc feel free to pm me :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
There are lots of tuning tips and tricks for these reels and you can get them to run at speeds in the excess of 3 minutes quite easy.
One little trick some of the Tournament lads carry out to stop the spool pre engaging is to cut a tiny slot in the spool release button. Others keep it safe by using rubber rings over the end plate.

Have a search through the Tournament casting forum MYFISHCASTING.COM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts