World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I got this account to ask one question about something I saw today, I come from a freshwater background fishing the Dorset Frome, Stour and the Hampshire Avon and I have recently tried my hand at sea angling. Recently I fished a mark on chisel beach during the day fishing the rising tide, I was at least 900m-1km away from any other angler, I was about to cast and noticed something to my left jump out of the water about 75m away, and it was at least 4/5 ft long. The only thing that I could imagine it to be is a Tuna or Boneto? It definitely wasn't the shape of a shark. Later that day I also saw a shoal of fish being chased and boiling at the surface.

If anyone could enlighten me on what it could be, and if it could possibly be targeted that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

WSF Primary Administrator.
Welcome to WSF:)

Registered
Tuna have been spotted fairly regularly off of Chesil the last few years, so it鈥檚 very possible. They鈥檙e blue fin tuna, and targeting them is prohibited I鈥檓 afraid. Aside from that you鈥檇 need to be kitted out with suitable gear; think a reel that can hold 4-500m of minimum 60lb braid and manage 20KG of drag while the fish runs hundreds of meters at a time. That鈥檚 needs to be matched with a rod that will handle big poppers and a whole lot of luck that you get one of the smaller ones.

The boiling would likely have been mackerel chasing whitebait or sandeel

Registered
There was a large tuna breaking the surface close to Chesil beach on the last trip I had in Lyme bay, chasing the mackerel shoals. There have been other sightings recently. As said above illegal to even target them.

Registered
Friends spotted one jumping last week at hive Beach estimated 300lb not that they have ever seen a 300lb fish to make a comparison.

Registered
Seen a huge fish leap out of the sea while fishing the cove last week ,definitely not a dolphin or a diver

Registered
HI,

I got this account to ask one question about something I saw today, I come from a freshwater background fishing the Dorset Frome, Stour and the Hampshire Avon and I have recently tried my hand at sea angling. Recently I fished a mark on chisel beach during the day fishing the rising tide, I was at least 900m-1km away from any other angler, I was about to cast and noticed something to my left jump out of the water about 75m away, and it was at least 4/5 ft long. The only thing that I could imagine it to be is a Tuna or Boneto? It definitely wasn't the shape of a shark. Later that day I also saw a shoal of fish being chased and boiling at the surface.

If anyone could enlighten me on what it could be, and if it could possibly be targeted that would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Fantastic sighting, that must have been a stop in your tracks moment....

Registered
2 of us saw a Tuna jump a few 100 yards out at Ferrybridge on Saturday and there were several sightings at Abbotsbury , Possibly the same fish though we were about 10 miles or so apart.

Registered
:) You won't be able to move for nets now. :BigGrin:
Lol I wouldn't want to get caught messing with tuna!!! Unless you sushied it on the boat and brought it in on ice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts