World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a newspaper story about a couple of companies (E.ON and Lunar Energy) planning a wave energy power station at a secret location on the West coast of the UK- the paper says there are only a few tidal areas sufficiently powerful to make this viable and speculates Anglesey (Holyhead in particular) is one favourite, mainly because of the Wylfa PS. The companies need to open negotiations with potential objectors QUOTE "...there is a moderately active local fishery that would have to be appeased...".

Other potential sites are SW Pembrokeshire,the Bristol Channel, The Sound of Luing, Dorus Mor, and the entrance to Loch Creran.

It is planned to be operating by 2010.

Anyone heard more about this?

·
Registered
248 Posts
The Bristol channel would seem to be the best choice, as it has the 2nd largest tidal range in the world 49ft. That is unless there is some legislation in place i.e area of special scientific interest, that would stop any developement in the area :g:

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The thing is, it's not the height of the tide its a combination of tidal flow (presumably speed), hard ground to install the turbine devices, infrastructure needed/available and also effect on local area etc.
You could imagine there being implications to wildlife/local industry etc (imagine catching your fishing net on a submarine device in a heavy sea - there would be a risk there I would imagine).
I can understand why they are keeping the location close to their chests for the moment.

I am also wondering what effect it would have on the local marine life (in a similar situation, some people have blamed wind turbines for birds being killed etc).
Would they need to clear the seabed at the site of all coral etc?

Although I am interested and actually believe in renewable energy, I worry about the effect building this would have.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Would the wave site(if it happens) not become a small sanctuary for the fish, i presume it would be out of bounds to us mere mortals/ commercial fishers :g:

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just don't know but it is to cover a reasonable area of sea bed and there are a lot of boats in the North Anglesey-Mersey area.
As for the sea life - also not sure. One thing I do know, any changes man makes to a natural eco-system can and often do take a long time to recover (i.e. scallop dredgers).

I guess I am perhaps being my usual pessimistic self. :unsure:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts