World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few Pm's about the posting quality and style we have at the moment. Basically it amounts to members hijacking threads and having chit chat in threads. I think if you looked through a few you'd see what I mean.

I don't want to sound like a misery but it has to stop. It make threads hard to follow and useless. All of the useful info is mixed up with idle chat which is no use to man nor beast.

Another thing that seems to be happening is sarcastic comments to general questions, they aren't helpful. Some members are spreading this into other forums and again it has to stop.

I've locked more threads in our forum in the last few months than I did the whole of last year. We had a reputation for quality and behavior in this forum but its slipping, I'd like to stop it, as I'm sure would all of you.

Last year we had problems with another region, it got so bad at one point with 4 or 5 members just wasting bandwidth that we closed the forum. 4 or 5 spoil it for thousands......it's just not happening again. This is an extreme example but I can see the makings of it here.

Basically all I'm saying is no more chit chat and daft sarcastic comments guys. I don't want to spoil any fun but a dozen guys thinking the forum is a place to mess about spoil it for many thousands.

If you want to just blether about random things and muck about use the chatter forum folks.

Appreciate your help with this guys.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So can you no give the people in question a warning them if they do it again ban them.
I could keith, but I'd rather folk looked at their own posts and see if they can self moderate. Nobody means any harm so I dinna want to warn folk for having fun. I'd rather let people know generally whats happening and see if it sorts the problem.

If it dosen't I will just pm the main offenders.

·
Registered
297 Posts
{Quote} If you want to just blether about random things and muck about use the chatter forum folks.

Or remove post's what have nothing to do with fishing.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I've noticed this too over the last few months, it's a shame. The Scottish forum has always been really helpfull and friendly but recently it has went down the pan with only a select few threads not degenerating into a complete waste of time and bandwidth.

Hopefully people will read this and be able to enforce some level of self-modding and it can get back to the way it was: the friendliest, most helpfull and all round best forum on WSF!! :fish:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well said and i toataly agree. Not noticed anything as i hav'nt been on as its too cold for fishing just now.And i am just getting all the freash water gear out.Just hope people read this and realise whats wrong and whats right.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
hi ads not to sure about the post mate i thought this was an open forum on all things fishing whether we agree with what is being said or not and this fixation with bandwidth all of a sudden if the forum doesnt have enough capacity then surely more can be aquired or isnt that possible yes things go off subject but that is human nature is it not

·
Registered
477 Posts
I don't think the point is about bandwidth (but that does cost a lot of money!) rather it is about people disrupting threads with trivia unrelated to the topic.

There is plenty of scope on here for chat banter, or whatever it is, but folks should use the appropriate forums

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
just me then:giveup:

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
forums will allways go off topic , thats the way it is .

eg: someone starts a thread about how to strip down and rebuild an old mitchell multipler -- someone else replies remeniscing how his grandfather used one of these in the 50's and caught a 20lb cod with it in the clyde --- someone else replies that because of trawlers etc the clyde is all but empty now ---- someone else replies about the same said trawlers stripping scottish lochs ................... NOW THE THREAD WICH STARTED AS A REQUEST FOR HELP WITH AN OLD REEL HAS TURNED INTO AN ENVIROMENTAL DISCUSSION.... this is human nature , free speech and all that , yes there will allways be arguments and people who do not get on . i admit that from time to time there has been some utter dribble posted on the forums , but hey you dont have to answer any post it if you dont want to .

i say let them get on with it

·
Banned
400 Posts
hmm, the reason I like this forum is because we can chat and go off topic ( Hui and I do it quite a lot. mainly because he claims his wife is doctor who), and a thread that started as one thing will often turn into something else.

I think its better to let that happen rather than start a new thread for every new topic thats brought up in a single thread, especially as they may be of interest to a very few posters.

A few of my threads in other parts of this site have left the original topic and as a result of that we have discussed the law concerning salmon/trout fishing, powers of bailiffs, who makes the best fly rods and even american made guitars.

all of these points are relevant except maybe the guitar one, but it was used to illustrate a point so it seemed best to leave it alone. if i or somebody else had to start a new topic to discuss each point seperately it would have been a bigger waste of bandwidth and its inevitable that they would have veered off into a another realm of discussion entirely.

I agree that pointless posting is a pain, but who will decide? there are certain posters here who treat anything in a thread they started thats off topic as a hostile action and will complain about it bitterly, where others will ignore it or even join in.

unless the t&c have been violated then its probably best to leave things as they are, unless you have recieved a specific complaint. I used to moderate the forums of a well known music magazine and it was held that unless somebody was being deliberately provocative or controversial then a hands off approach was best.

nobody wants a forum full of drivel, but equally nobody wants a forum where anything but relevant technical information is deleted as a matter of course.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
forums will allways go off topic , thats the way it is .

eg: someone starts a thread about how to strip down and rebuild an old mitchell multipler -- someone else replies remeniscing how his grandfather used one of these in the 50's and caught a 20lb cod with it in the clyde --- someone else replies that because of trawlers etc the clyde is all but empty now ---- someone else replies about the same said trawlers stripping scottish lochs ................... NOW THE THREAD WICH STARTED AS A REQUEST FOR HELP WITH AN OLD REEL HAS TURNED INTO AN ENVIROMENTAL DISCUSSION.... this is human nature , free speech and all that , yes there will allways be arguments and people who do not get on . i admit that from time to time there has been some utter dribble posted on the forums , but hey you dont have to answer any post it if you dont want to .

i say let them get on with it
It's utter dribble you mention that we want shot of Al. Threads going off topic is a natural thing as you say and folk will argue, this is also true. It's the idle chat that we don't want. People having conversations in threads that have absolutly no relevance to the forum or to anyone else reading it.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmm, the reason I like this forum is because we can chat and go off topic ( Hui and I do it quite a lot. mainly because he claims his wife is doctor who), and a thread that started as one thing will often turn into something else.

I think its better to let that happen rather than start a new thread for every new topic thats brought up in a single thread, especially as they may be of interest to a very few posters.

A few of my threads in other parts of this site have left the original topic and as a result of that we have discussed the law concerning salmon/trout fishing, powers of bailiffs, who makes the best fly rods and even american made guitars.

all of these points are relevant except maybe the guitar one, but it was used to illustrate a point so it seemed best to leave it alone. if i or somebody else had to start a new topic to discuss each point seperately it would have been a bigger waste of bandwidth and its inevitable that they would have veered off into a another realm of discussion entirely.

I agree that pointless posting is a pain, but who will decide? there are certain posters here who treat anything in a thread they started thats off topic as a hostile action and will complain about it bitterly, where others will ignore it or even join in.

unless the t&c have been violated then its probably best to leave things as they are, unless you have recieved a specific complaint. I used to moderate the forums of a well known music magazine and it was held that unless somebody was being deliberately provocative or controversial then a hands off approach was best.

nobody wants a forum full of drivel, but equally nobody wants a forum where anything but relevant technical information is deleted as a matter of course.
You can still have a chat cris, but in the chatter forum, thats why we made it.

I understand that threads develop as the points are posted, thats fine. Don't get me wrong I dinna mind the odd bit of chat here and there but its when it gets strung out and is in several threads. It just makes it harder to read and follow whats happening, its also off putting for members.

The description you used with the guitar cris, yes it did illustrate a point and again thats fine. As to the flies question that ended up a legal debate, that one I locked. Every time someone posts up about a sea trout all we get is legal discussions, it's of putting for people who want to do a catch report. We get the same problem in other regions with bass. So when that happens people stop doing catch reports and then whats point in having regional forums.

·
Banned
400 Posts
but the ireland thread I started has veered off into something else and people are chatting in it even though theyre not going to be on this trip. i dont see it as a problem unless somebody says something out of line or completely off topic.

i wouldnt ask for the posts to be deleted because I wouldnt like to see a forum filled with

im going to ireland. are you coming.

yes

yes

maybe

no.

that would be awful and completely lifeless. now I know where ramcheck will be and where he spent some of his childhood ( I spent some of mine in Donegal) so we maybe have commonn ground that we wouldnt have discovered otherwise.

·
Banned
400 Posts
actually, a lot of it is. but its not offensive or insulting or comeplete nonsense.

i dont want to argue with you because this thread will end up being something it wasnt supposed to be, defeating the purpose of it.

I will of course defer to you as moderator, but i would ask that each case be considered on its own merits (like the fly fishing and ireland threads) and a heavy handed catch all approach isnt adopted. theres no need to use a sledgehammer to crack a nut, so to speak.

·
Registered
267 Posts
SO WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO POST REPORTS ON SEA TROUT BECAUSE IT OFFENDS THE SENSEBILITIES OF A CERTAIN MINORITY ON THIS FORUM,OR IS IT THAT MODS ON THIS FORUM DONT REGARD SEA TROUT AS A SEA FISH SPECIES:g: :g:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.