World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just a quick question,

Anyone know where I can buy a proper flat tined (not square) 'potato fork' from for bait digging, preferably 'Bulldog' brand in the East Yorks area, as some toe-rag has nicked mine!

Cheers, P.T.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi just a quick question,

Anyone know where I can buy a proper flat tined (not square) 'potato fork' from for bait digging, preferably 'Bulldog' brand in the East Yorks area, as some toe-rag has nicked mine!

Cheers, P.T.
Turner Charles & Sons (Farmers Friends) Ltd
Queen St
Lazenby
Middlesbrough
TS6 8EB
Telephone: 01642 453592

These are good forks mate :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
B&Q do a half decent fork for around £20, they have two models one from spear & jackson and the other is wilkinson sword, the latter i have been useing for the last two years and serves it,s purpose well enough.Must admit though the one from turner & charles looks a little beauty.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
used a cheapo flat tined one for yonks came with a set or seperate for a tenner
you could bend it without trying but if its for digging worm it was fine and light aswell

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Turner Charles & Sons (Farmers Friends) Ltd
Queen St
Lazenby
Middlesbrough
TS6 8EB
Telephone: 01642 453592

These are good forks mate :)
Here's 2 photos of the fork :) ( I put the Black Tape round the shaft )

Attachments

·
Banned
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ta Codbasher3 and Mike,

I want one, they look spot on and a snip at £20-00. If I make my way up there, I might as well make a day of it and do a bit of fishing as well. Always liked the sound of Hawsker and Boulby (?spelling?), anyone know if they've been fishing and whether I need to let this northerly on these big spring tides pass by first?

Thanks again, P.T.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Hi PT, I'm not sure about Hawsker, but Boulby should fish well after this big blow up, BUT keep an eye on the tide cos you can get cut off if you don't watch the tide coming back in !

If I was to go to Boulby I'd try the Boiler-Hole that's your best bet, & plenty of Big Cod do get caught there. :) then on the way back I'd try the last hour or so just to the left of the Cowbar on the scar ! ( one never knows )
Have a look at this pic, I = Boiler Hole & II = where I'd try.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Hi,
Bought one from B&Q a couple of years or so back, can't remember make, but had a plastic handle and broke within 15 mins. Current one I use looks donkeys years old - was bought from a Market stall that sold old tools and garden stuff. He had quite a few, with Wooden handles - cost me a tenner. Might be worth a look if you have a decent market near by. Some of the old gear is made better than the modern stuff !!!
Cheers,
Mart.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
bull dog tools is just up the road from me and they will make you any fork /spade etc to your requirements , my dad had a garden hoe made that they hadnt done for years
cuberd

·
Registered
24,781 Posts
bull dog tools is just up the road from me and they will make you any fork /spade etc to your requirements , my dad had a garden hoe made that they hadnt done for years
cuberd
I'd buy anything from Bulldog Tools after telling them what I was after.

In 1982 I was taken under their wing to have a set of special garden tools made .. A long handle border spade on a pitchfork shaft , a long handle four tined fork made from a pitch fork , a 13 inch , forged light weight rake and an old fashioned sugar beet gapping hoe.

I still have all tools except the rake which my nice neighbour borrowed and incinerated to ashes in a bonfire.( so he told me but never gave me the head back saying he had thrown it away ......... " @0*&^*%$£ "

The spade and fork have moved many tonnes of sand ,stones rubble and rubbish as well as the usual regular gardening jobs.

Twice a year they all get a dressing of boiled linseed oil on the handles to stop the ash drying out and going brittle, as well as a linseed oil on the metal after each use.

You can ask Bulldog to put an extra long shaft ( 42 inches ) with a "D"handle on if you are really looking for a good fork ...just tell them what it is going to be used for and ask for their advice about your choice of tool .

Bulldog is British and proud of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
To Codbasher 3 and Mike.
That looks a cracking fork. Unforutnalty I'm in Somerset. Do you have any idea of the make of the fork so I can look for it down here?
Chrs

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi,
Bought one from B&Q a couple of years or so back, can't remember make, but had a plastic handle and broke within 15 mins. Current one I use looks donkeys years old - was bought from a Market stall that sold old tools and garden stuff. He had quite a few, with Wooden handles - cost me a tenner. Might be worth a look if you have a decent market near by. Some of the old gear is made better than the modern stuff !!!
Cheers,
Mart.
Sorry mate but I give my Dad my fork to use on his allottment, dont know if there was a makers name on it I honestly can't remember, why don't you ring the place that sells them Telephone: 01642 453592
and ask mate.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
To Codbasher 3 and Mike.
That looks a cracking fork. Unforutnalty I'm in Somerset. Do you have any idea of the make of the fork so I can look for it down here?
Chrs
I have just got mine out of the shed to have a look but I forgot I put tape round the shaft ! so I started to take the tape off but the sticker with the name is well stuck to the tape..sorry :g:

Do what Mart says give them a call.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Unfortunately left my bulldog potato fork on the shoreline about 3 weeks ago, have tried without success to find another, anyone know a retailer ? If so, phone number or adress please.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
used a cheapo flat tined one for yonks came with a set or seperate for a tenner
you could bend it without trying but if its for digging worm it was fine and light aswell
i bet it aint so good in the heavy stuff ? :g:

i used a super heavy duty fork on the isle of white recently, solid metal bulldog, and even that was bending while turning over the blue clay that lay a few inches under the sand, damned hard work but the 12" king rag were worth it !!

·
Registered
11,216 Posts
i bet it aint so good in the heavy stuff ? :g:

i used a super heavy duty fork on the isle of white recently, solid metal bulldog, and even that was bending while turning over the blue clay that lay a few inches under the sand, damned hard work but the 12" king rag were worth it !!
i use 2 forks to get them locally taking the top 6in of slime off with a potato fork then a garden fork to chase them through the hard stuff

·
Registered
50 Posts
Spoke to Turner Charles who confirmed they had the fork in stock if anyone wants one.
Bad news is they don't do mail order. Informed me that the manafucturer is:
"Old Style Agriculture Wholesale Hardware" but couldn't give contact details.
Googled the name but nothing found.
Went to a Garden Centre today and they hadn't even heard of a potato fork. Makes you wonder

1 - 20 of 37 Posts