World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
1,021 Posts
I read the proposals but there were no details outlining the risks or predicted or suspected implications that would arise from such practice. Asbestos has been used for years to cover buildings cos of its abilities to repel water so would have thought it to be one of the least likely materials to degrade?

·
Registered
936 Posts
i live a stones throw from this site. i did hear about it but didnt know much about the proposal. interesting reading for sure. as for contaminating the lakes im sure the local council would abandon any scheme that could possibly be detrimental to nearby rivers and lakes, environmentally speaking. environmental law and leg is a nightmare nowadays.

also considering the fact that chew is primarily a store of water that will later be treated for human consumption, i cant see any way they would approve this plan if it were to be a risk.

il sit on the fence for this one mees thinks.

BTFFTW

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi btfftw, not trying to cause problems but when people sit on the fence they are the first to get hit when the **** hits the fan.

Asbestos is dangerous stuff, thats why you need a licence to handle /remove it, sure it may not degrade in water but it still may permeate some sort of sh8t over the years and the problem is then its too late.
I'm probably way wrong here, but if i'm right.........

Fingers crossed that it all turns out ok in the future.

·
Registered
936 Posts
as far as im aware its dangerous stuff if it becomes airborn. no one likes the thought of having aspestos dumped in their back yard. NIMBY'S and all that. but at the end of the day, it has to be disposed of somewhere and i wouldve thought a dis-used quarry is as good a spot as any. id rather it be disposed of than be sat in some roof potentially harming people. the quarry itself is in a pretty isolated place with vegetation all around it. most people who are victims of aspestos are those who are in direct contact with it. wheather they work with it or have it in their homes. you could say that people may be at risk from the dumping procedure of the material itself..i.e airborn particles. but the fact is, most of the landfill sites that are considered high risk are well managed and maintained. most have liners to stop leachate, some have under ground piping to trap gases produced by anaerobic decay and alot of the sites have water sprayers to ensure airborn particles are not left to drift away in the winds.

none of us like rubbish. wheather it be household waste, commercial waste, nucleaur etc etc but at the end of the day it wont just dissapear. unfortunately something will probably suffer. its inevitable. but i can assure you, the days of dump it in a hole, leave it and and dont monitor it have gone. these plans cost huge amounts of money and environmental issues are as hot as they have ever been. if problems arrise, the owner of the site will be in serious shi#!

BTFFTW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts