World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Done a quick search, didnt really answer my question.

caught a monster pout or possibly a poor cod down the wall last night.

actually thought it was a codling at first when i saw it come up out of the depths it was that big.

it weighed 1lb 5oz.

now i kept it for eating assuming it was a pout and knowing i wont be catching one that size for a while.

but if its a poor cod, i will try and identify when at home, do poor cod taste and cook the same as pout?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I done a search on pout cooking and confusion arose in that thread as well. Davy came in and explaned about the anal vent in relation to Dorsel fin. it's already filleted so can't check now.
apparently they both lose there scales very easily so not a reliable method of ID.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Record weight: A small inshore member of the cod family, the pouting is one of the most common fish around the British coast and can make up a large percentage of angler catches. Whilst most fish weigh under a pound, the boat caught record is a huge fish of 5lb 8oz and the shore best a creditable 4lb 9oz.

copy and paste job from the Internet

·
Registered
746 Posts
Its a pouting for sure mate,down the wall fishing does produce some nice pouts like that,i was congering a few years ago down a harbour wall i caught a stonker like that on a huge mackerel fillet on a 7/0 hook.
Thats a good pout...well done.

·
Registered
974 Posts
My money's on a pout mate,quite deep in the body.I've caught some rather large ones from the Solent on the boat so they about

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys,
funnily enough that was caught on a rag mackerel fillet cocktail. I think he wanted the rag though as he was on the top hook of me pennel.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
for anyone that's interested, just eaten it now.

we had it fried and other then some salt, no flavouring. with some chips. cheap meal and we wanted to taste predominately the fish.

I thought it was ok... sort of. maybe more of a psychological thing as I never really think of them as an eating fish.
I don't think I'd give it another go, not out of dislike, just more I don't think it'd be worth it.

girlfriend was much the same, but come the end she said the taste just didn't sit right with her and there was a slight mud taste.

was very soft meat raw and during cooking.

cat had leftovers and he loved it.

just had a thought. fish pie we might actually try.
we'll do that with whiting during the winter as well I think
so yea we might give it 1 more go.

·
Registered
457 Posts
pout is nice but a must is to gut as soon as it leaves the water mate as they go smelly very quickly i always gut and then leave in water till i get home wash and then in the fridge best eaten asap and is a loverly eating fish good in pies and to fill out fish cakes well worth it

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea saw similar things in cooking section about ASAP eating etc. it was eaten within 15 hours of capture. but yea will give a go in a pie if given another chance.

·
Registered
20,784 Posts
Nothing's to big for a live bait, there's always a bigger fish out there! Lol.
Never eaten one myself but heard from enough people that know much more than me that they are good chowder but as has been said, need to be gutted pronto and eaten ASAP.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts