World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught this little beast way back in April. At the time I assumed it was a pouting. Now, having caught several more which I'm sure are pouting, I'm not so sure about this one.

Might it be a poor cod? The way it's fins lay in the photo, it makes IDing a bit tricky, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

It's a Poor Cod, the easy way to tell is the position of its vent in relation to the dorsal fin. On a poor cod the vent is almost directly below the rear of the dorsal where as on a Pout it is almost directly below the start of the dorsal.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hiya,

It's a Poor Cod, the easy way to tell is the position of its vent in relation to the dorsal fin. On a poor cod the vent is almost directly below the rear of the dorsal where as on a Pout it is almost directly below the start of the dorsal.
LOOK again m8 think u'll find its a pout

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
definitely a pout - poor cod look very different - longer and slimmer with a more 'scaley' appearance

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
if you got covered in scales when handling it,then it's a poor cod.if not,it's a pout.would of helped if i looked at the pic before posting...lol

had a look,looks like a\ pout to me

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
pretty sure the eyes are bigger on poor cod as well:g:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmm...seems like the jury is still out.

Well, it was caught at Brighton Marina, east arm. Don't remember any scales coming off.

It does look very similar to the poor cod on the Aquarium project site.
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/pages/poorcod.html

Also, using this guide (page 12) I read that the pelvic fin should only reach the vent. The fin is badly positioned in the pic, but it looks about that long.
http://www.cfb.ie/pdf/fishbook.pdf

I'm really not sure! but does look a little different from the pout I've caught in Brighton.

Compare and contrast: Pic 1 (Pretty sure this is a pout) Pic 2 ( your guess is as good as mine)

Attachments

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

it's still a Poor Cod :)

Check the position of the vent (ar*ehole) on your fish then check the position on the picture of the Pout.

As Poor Cod get bigger they fill out to a similar shape to that of the Pout but not quite as deep bodied as the Pout. just to add to the confusion Poor cod can also have the light barred marking similar to that of the Pout. the scales comming off aint always a sure ID feature as it dont always happen.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Pic 1 DEFINITELY a pout

Pic 2 Almost certainly a poor cod

Or maybe its some kinda pout/whiting/poor cod triploid,lol

I THINK triploid is the right word.....long time since I fly fished,lol

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hiya,

it's still a Poor Cod :)

Check the position of the vent (ar*ehole) on your fish then check the position on the picture of the Pout.

As Poor Cod get bigger they fill out to a similar shape to that of the Pout but not quite as deep bodied as the Pout. just to add to the confusion Poor cod can also have the light barred marking similar to that of the Pout. the scales comming off aint always a sure ID feature as it dont always happen.
Is the ar#ehole bit meant for me?

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Yep....Poor cod. Have to say though, Davy Holt aint often wrong with his fish ID. :clap3:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts