World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is in the right section, but if not one of those nice moderators will move it for me.

I have read Mikes article on bassing using a power ball, and intend to try out this method this summer.

My problem is the article does not indicate the best weight for the ball to obtain best distance, without overcasting, with the minimum of splash. Does anyone have any experience of this type of fishing.

I have searched through the grandchildrens toy boxes but the balls I found were all difference sizes and weights. I could try the trial and error method, which worked quite well when I first got into sex, but I thought it might be quicker to post the question.

Can anyone help me. Just to be clear I need help with powerballing, not with the sex, although the missus will tell you otherwise.

Tightlines

Fred

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
I think you'll find that this should be in the 'Boat' section. I have visions of you trying to keep up with the ingress of water using a very small container. In fact it could become an Olympic sport - International Power Bailing!

Come to think of it, it probably is amongst the farming Fraternity!

As far as the 'sex' you mention. It seems that that is also down to a load of ba**s!

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
i thought it should be in shore/spinning section, because i remmber the aim of power balling is to keep the lure from diving to deep and to give maxium casting distance.

im sure mike will help u as soon as he sees this post.
kelvin

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swelleyman

I think you are a little confused with yours sports. In the Sidney Jarvis Book of International Sporting Records power bailing is defined as the art of knocking bails of the stumps at over 90 miles per hour. The current record is held by a West Indian cricketer whose name I can't remember. I know the ball speed was 101 MPH.

My enquiry was to do with power balling, of which there are several definitions. At the moment I am only interested in one, the fishing variety.

Fred

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Fred, I Don"t Want To Be A Complete Anorak But I Think Shoaib Akhtar (pakistan) Bowled The Fastest Ball 100.23 Mph. Apart From That What Is This Thread About? Becks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a slight digression BECKS, just a slight digression. We are just trying to lighten life a little.

Have a good day

Fred

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Fred, I made one with a ball size 2in, it was ok for casting a light plug but the ball sinks so I'm trying to find one that floats.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i stopped using a jiffy lemon with candle wax years ago, i tried a few things and came up with the idea of using a golf ball, easy to drill, then put your wires through, its got a good weght, and seems to retrieve just below the surface, i use this method all through the summer, and have had a lot of bass with it, just my opinion thow. but it works........

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Poacher, will give it a try

Fred

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
A Golf Ball... I'll give one a try-out. Thanks Poacher.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
you are both welcome. i thought other people would have cottoned on2 this ages ago. but i have not seen any 1 else besides myself using it, but there may be others using this method, so dont all jump down my throats after a row, or i will take up golf. and i wont say hee hee. in case some 1 is watchin........

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Nothing is original Poacher bach! Here's a photo of me, under the Menai Suspension Bridge, about to hit my golf ball with my Biggest Big Bertha and faithful Abu reel. I find the golf bag and trolley great for transporting my equipment. The only problem I find is, very occasionally it must be said, that I cause some consternation on the first tee if I have forgotten to remove old bait from the weekend. As regards golf balls as weights, they work quite well. I use cheap old hard ones for distance but revert to expensive softer ones when I need a little precision with casting a lure.

Seriously I took the photo. when I wrote an article about the similarity between the physics of 'loading' the carbon shaft of a golf club when driving, with the same action involved in storing energy in the carbon blank of a stiffish fishing rod when casting.

As regards the golf ball, I am searching for one that floats as water seems to attract them in variance to the laws of physics!

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i no m8y. get that piccy up here nowwwww. to be serious, i do find them ideal. there must be a few people who uses em thow, well come on, let,s hear you all, let us no wot u think. rite i gotta go out, may even get in chat 2nite if the woman lets me, hee,hee.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Swelleyman

For the record which club do you use to cast when golfishing, a wood for distance or are you one of those golfishers who fish close in and like to use an iron. I have never understood golfers, but golfishers I do. After all, if they win they get a free tea.

See you in chat Poacher

Fred

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
As you probably know club selection is to golf what bait is to fishing - make a mistake and you've got double bogeys to contend with and Double Doggies in fishing! If however you want to target species then you have to be accurate. So for the close in species I tend to use short irons with the 'spin' ball (although occasionally I can just use my putter when the macKeral are close - I just hit them with it!)

I find that a big booming 250 yds with the Driver (Taylor Made 450, £132 second hand, this year if you're particular - with the Abu sliding reel seat - great, take on Tiger with it, Tiger Marcus that is!) does for the Cod. Then if the bottom is a little rough I resort to one of my Hybrid woods which will tear through anything. But the best fun is definitely when plugging for Bass off the sandbank. There's only one club, you've guessed it, my SAND iron, mine's a Merlin (of course!)

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Cheers Marcus! My wife wanted to know who the young, good looking chap with the golf club was, and she took the photo.! You've improved it, better than Boots!

You see, dear reader, this is what this site is all about, moderators who help and improve, and all the time at that.

Now for you fisherpeople, this mark under the suspension Bridge (Thomas Telford's best! See Photo. above) is one used by a great many visitors. It was a base for the building of the bridge and also for the ferry before bridge was finished. For last two hours of Flow and at high water down for three hours, the current is stupendous and the fish few and far between, which is why you rarely see locals fishing there! As you can see, easy to set up but little else. (Please post if you know better!!!) At low water there's a drop down to the water of about 25' but you can fish to the left down some steps and walk 25yds to water's edge and catch: Bass, Codling, Wrasse, Pollack and Conger mostly, just 30-40 yds out in a lovely little bay. Limited parking (3 cars) but two long muddy beaches (300yds), and the famous Church Island about 3/4 mile away (Lots of Parking close to old A5 250yds from the Anglesey end of the bridge 50yds past the COOP supermarket, right next to Chinese (excellent!))

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi Fred

in most angling shops you can get a round plastic float with 2 eye holes on and stoppers in the float to add water to make it float less and give you more distance. I use this sort of thing for spinnig for mullet or bass as it stops the lure from going too deep.

Michael :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First of all thanks for the tip Michael, I'll have a look in the dealers.

Poacher, I have used a golf ball to make my power ball as suggested. I am thinking of using artificial sand eels and other lures to start with and then experiment from there. Did you clip back your bait for streamling purposes, or was it ok without.

Fred

1 - 20 of 38 Posts