World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Just had a great weekend doing the Power boat levell 2 out of Conwy,
Thew what a scorcher,anyway if anyone is new to boating as i am i would recommend it,didn,t want to take the chance on going out without it,now i,m really looking forward to get out.
Hopefully boat will be ready for launching in a few weeks,(i will get down to see you soon Chrisp,so when it is ready to go i can get a few tips from you if thats ok and maybe you will come out on the water with me,so i don,t mess up.)
Just wanted to share that with you all,while we we,re out yesterday we stopped at Puffin island,and noticed a lot of mackerel were being caught as well as other fish,just thought some of you would be interested that the mack were in.
Thanks for reading.regards Larry :D

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
You had a cracking weekend to do it, congrats on passing. Give me a shout when you are ready to go. I will take my boat out to act as a safety for you.

There is a big pack of tope a couple of miles off Puffin, been resident about 2 weeks now, nothing big but they put a welcome bend in your rod.

·
Banned
132 Posts
me and my old man took the level 2 coarse in Pwllheli over the week end and even though we've had a boat for 5 years we still leaned loads.

was thinking of doing a vhf coarse with them in august

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chazz said:
me and my old man took the level 2 coarse in Pwllheli over the week end and even though we've had a boat for 5 years we still leaned loads.

was thinking of doing a vhf coarse with them in august
HI Chazz
Done my VHF course a couple of weeks ago,a guy does it in Abergele at his house,no overheads so a lot cheaper than any where else i tried.
If your interested in doing it at what i think was a cheap rate (£55) then drop me a line and i,ll give you his details.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ChrisP said:
You had a cracking weekend to do it, congrats on passing. Give me a shout when you are ready to go. I will take my boat out to act as a safety for you.

There is a big pack of tope a couple of miles off Puffin, been resident about 2 weeks now, nothing big but they put a welcome bend in your rod.
Hi Chris
just got a few more things to do to the boat then i,ll give you a call and arrange to meet up with you when i,ve completed the final touches on the boat,
and yes you,re right it was a brilliant weekend for the course ,really enjoyable.
Looking forward to get out there now and start using the rods again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did my Level 2 at Southampton on Saturday and VHF SRC on Sunday. The hottest place on Sunday was Lee on Solent and we were in a shed/classroom all day for 8 hours!

Great fun thrashing a Rib around the Solent!!

I also got my ICC certificate which basically allows you to hire boats abroad.
As i do most of my fishing in Ireland i was NOT surprised to find out that although the ICC is an international qualification the Powerboat Level2 RYA qualification (from which it is given) is not acceptable in Ireland. Thats just so they can give you the same course and charge you more dosh.
Funny how Europe is ok if you want to emigrate to any EEC country but if there's a buck to be made you need an individual qualification for that country.

Freddy

·
Registered
701 Posts
freddy said:
I did my Level 2 at Southampton on Saturday and VHF SRC on Sunday. The hottest place on Sunday was Lee on Solent and we were in a shed/classroom all day for 8 hours!

Great fun thrashing a Rib around the Solent!!

I also got my ICC certificate which basically allows you to hire boats abroad.
As i do most of my fishing in Ireland i was NOT surprised to find out that although the ICC is an international qualification the Powerboat Level2 RYA qualification (from which it is given) is not acceptable in Ireland. Thats just so they can give you the same course and charge you more dosh.
Funny how Europe is ok if you want to emigrate to any EEC country but if there's a buck to be made you need an individual qualification for that country.

Freddy
Like you, when I did my level 2 I applied for my ICC, I believed I could use it to hire a boat abroad, sorry but no you can't, The ICC ( thats INTERNATIONAL CERTIFICATE of COMPETANCE ) is only valid to UK registered boats, and may not be accepted in some ports aqnyway, Spain appears to be worse. They want to impose a Wealth Tax on visiting boats.
Even tho, worth having and the course was great, did mine at Conwy, Should be compulsory along with Insurance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Picked this up in the RYA mag...

The ICC is NOT a qualification and is not accepted by all EEC states. It is not a short cut to individual States certifications.

It is assumed - wrongly - that the ICC is like an international driving licence. It is not.

The RYA is trying to get it accepted across Europe but currently you need to check with the member State to see if it is acceptable for that countrys waters.

NOW they tell me! That cost £30.

Freddy

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you were a member of the RYA ( £25 by direct debit, all going to a good cause ) the ICC is free !! and you get to feel good about putting something back into the sport.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Actually the RYA membership was free with the ICC!
I am a life member of the RNLI as i reckon they would do me more good in a crisis!!
Spent twenty years in the RYA via my sailing club but it was the RNLI who rescued me.

It is a case of picking which to invest in once the Insurance, licences, club fees, launching fees etc are all paid up.

Freddy :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts