World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one use power gum instead of crimps ? One reason when I make rigs I avoid using bait clips is I can never get the adjustment right. My crimps either slide every where or I am worried about damaging the line. Got a reel of power gum here and was just wondering about the best method

· Registered
2,545 Posts
If you need a fixed stop, use two stops in tandem.

philtherod

· Registered
3,159 Posts
I have learned quickly as far as crimps go.....being a heavy handed mutha.
No more......metal being squeezed into/onto mono for me.

I now use 1 Fox float stop above and below the beaded snood swivel
and if i experience "any" slippage whilst fishing I just adjust the
rig by adding a small stop knot made of Drennan 14lb Power Gum.(red)

Gaz :)

· Registered
2,639 Posts
tell me if this is right (or wrong)

Red Power Gum available in 4, 14 and 20lb b.s (20 seems to come loose a bit too easily.... in my opinion)
Clear Power Gum 14lb & 20lb - same as red (but less commonly available)
Green Power Gum (in Carp sections) 14 lb

the 4lb is too fine for most use - it is "whiskery soft & limp" like 1lb mono (even though thicker)

Oh - and if you much prefer crimps to Power Gum, see if you can find those silicone-lined crimps (could be David Gould on this site sells them ?) I gather they are not only the Beees' bollox, but also the Dog's knees !

· Registered
5,396 Posts
Used powergum for years course fishing and was only to glad when silicone & rubber float stops hit the shops, found them easier, less fiddly and quicker, dirt cheap if you buy in bulk as well. Failing that I use two silicon tube stops either side of a bead, figure of 8 the line throgh 6mm slices of 1mm tubing.

The float stops come in various sizes and materials, black rubber, natural rubber and clear silicon in different diameters, I select in accordance to what mono I am using.

· Registered
50 Posts
I use silicone tubing or power gum as sliding knots in place of crimps. When using clip downs I can never get the snood lengths the same length so now I use 2 knots above and 2 below. You can't move them all at the same time but move one at a time easily to accommodate different snood lengths.
I also use them on the snood lengths above the beads/sequins and then you can move them according to the length of the bait you put on

· Registered
424 Posts
Power Gum is fine for stop knots but silicone tubing is cheaper, quicker and easier to use. Just cut off a piece about 2-3 mm long, thread the line through, take the same end back and thread it through again and then pull it tight.

Cheers,

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.