World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
i was thinking of fishing at Powfoot tomorrow and wondered if anyone has fished there,( is it worth fishing there?) if so any tips would be most welcome,
Thanks
Zippy03

·
Registered
225 Posts
Sorry m8 I don't know the specific mark but if you could tell me the general area of the mark I could maybe shed some light for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its on the solway firth near Annan, only been past it once, its a wide open sandy beach.
Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi zippy I haven't fished the area but I think there is a possibility of dabs, flounder, eels and maybe even bass though don't quote me on that. If possible get there at low tide to see if there are any fishing holding features, e.g. channels, gullies etc. It's kind of hard trying to read a beach at high tide! Also you may want to look for any little runs offs or streams that flow from the beach as these can be additional fish attracting features. I'd advise you to fish 2 rods, with one at max distance and one closer in. Fish like this changing distance until you find the fish. As you rigs I'd say 2/3 flappers or clipped, possibly with luminous or atleast bright beads on the snoods. You can also try varying the size of your weight so that the bait gets plenty of movement in the tide to attract the passing fish(hopefully!). Baits to use would be peeler, rag, lug and mackerel, with peeler probably performing the best.

Hope that is of use to you and goodluck with the fishing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi zippy, i live local to powfoot and i have just started fishing in the solway over the last month, you should be in with a good chance of catching as ther has been a big sand shift over the last few months which has resulted in the channel being nearer to the scottish shore, you will cath your usual flatties etc etc. but ther is also a good head off mullet and sea bass being caught at the moment but the bass are being difficult as its the wrong type of ground for them.

if fishing here be on the shore for about 2 hrs before the tide runs in and fish it right in , but if you do take great care here as the tide is very fast and it can also circle behind you. ( oh watch out for the old poke nets they tend to snag you up big time )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts