World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m after a prawn pot or two as I would like to use them for live bait . Not sure what bait to use as I don’t have access to a bait freezer . I have ordered a cheap one that folds up , however I would love just 1 of the black plastic pots and they seem so hard to come by . Is any one able to point me in the right direction or sell one ?
Many thanks Ollie

·
Registered
224 Posts
Why not have a go at making your own.
In the past I have used large water bottles with the top cut off and inverted the other way.
Or if you want to make a plastic one like you mentioned I used a green rigid plastic mesh/netting that I sourced from my local gardening centre.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone thank you for your replies . I have bought a collapsible trap and it has arrived today . One thing though - what is everyone’s preferred bait?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I put anything in mine, old sandeel, lugworm, mackerel, squid, crab, dead ragworm. I think the mackerel and squid are the best attractors but I've had prawns in there with any combination of baits. One thing that is pretty much consistent is the more bait I put in at a time the more prawns I get each time. I used to put a few bits with each drop and I'd get the odd one or two, but then I just threw in a whole load of bait in one go and just kept dropping that down over the night and I started regularly getting up to 10 prawns a lift with the net being out for 20 minutes or so. Obviously sometimes I get nothing all night.

If you put the bait in the main compartment instead of the small net that the traps usually have on the side and you could also get other fish and crabs and lobsters, some of which you could also use for bait.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Normally use mackerel with mine.
Just be warned that with the collapsible nets you do tend to get a hell of alot of crab in the net.
I put mine down local beach over night and the next day it was full with crab.
Took me ages to empty!

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Best to always use the bait compartment which hangs away from the side of the net !
If you have bait touching the side or bottom of the net the prawns claws can reach it and they do not need to enter the trap to feed.
Prawns will if they can grab a piece of food with each of the four feeding claws and retire to a safe place to eat it !

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Normally use mackerel with mine.
Just be warned that with the collapsible nets you do tend to get a hell of alot of crab in the net.
I put mine down local beach over night and the next day it was full with crab.
Took me ages to empty!
After getting the prawns out shake the net to dizzy the crabs up and they forget to hang on to the net !

(As much) :)

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I’m going to give a bit of advice that I have found that will contradict what some others have said. If you’ve got a mesh pot don’t put the bait just loose in there as when it lays against the side crabs will grab it from the outside and snip holes in the mesh. That’s what I’ve found anyway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
as above i found the crabs pull the bait from the outside ,but ive noticed on the commercial pots they have a compartment in the middle in which they put the bait,the prawns go in the trap,but can not get to eat the bait,presumably so the trap can be left out for longer period of time an still have bait in it,i saw one pulled up by a quayside that had well over 50 in it,ive got the collapsable ones next time i use it im going to put the bait in a small plastic bottle with holes in it

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
as above i found the crabs pull the bait from the outside ,but ive noticed on the commercial pots they have a compartment in the middle in which they put the bait,the prawns go in the trap,but can not get to eat the bait,presumably so the trap can be left out for longer period of time an still have bait in it,i saw one pulled up by a quayside that had well over 50 in it,ive got the collapsable ones next time i use it im going to put the bait in a small plastic bottle with holes in it
I use screw top plastic jars as they are easier to fill and empty , an electric soldering iron is far superior to a drill for making the holes, no splitting !:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts