World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an article in one of the latest mags, but I cant find it now, which said that the latest Indonesian prawns sold in tescos, sainsbury's et al make very good bait. I cant find these prawns...are they frozen? fresh shelled? in their shells? Anyone know?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick again?? :blink:

David

·
Registered
281 Posts
latest sea angler magazine - editorial section first page!

check out my other post on indonesian prawns on this forums section. ( had some questions myself on the matter! )

·
Registered
5 Posts
I saw this was mentioned in Sea Angler, and posted a question up on another forum to see if anybody had used them, but got little response. However, fishing this weekend at Portlethen, one of our party of three used some he had bought, and had a number of Polack and a Cod on them. He used both uncooked, shell on, and cooked without shell, and both worked realy well.

Well, better then my lug and squid :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
how big were the shrimps, and they were grey ish in colour? how did he present them on the hook,a few on a single paternoster trace?

·
Registered
4 Posts
:unsure:
bought some of the prawns in local iceland £3-99 bogof
they were indonesian ones.i expected them to be fresh frozen shell on?
but no,peeled and cooked.
surely there will be very little scent to these(which i understand is a prime requisite of baits)
any thoughts folks?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just bought some at Asda to try out. They did not say indonesian, but are from the pacific, and are raw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Both cooked and un-cooked worked, peeled and unpealed, so no real answers there. To my mind it makes more sense that the raw, unpeeled would de better, but this seemed to be dis-proved. I tipped of my lug with one cooked prawn of about an inch, and promptly caught a Pollack. Brian was putting 4 - 5 on at a time, and caught fish after fish.

I think it's a matter of trial and error. Am going to try both types again this weekend and post the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts