World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have any of you used the raw king prawns from the above seem ok for £5 abig bag hope to hear from some one

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'v had some chilled from tesco (reduced to clear) and split the pack into trip-size portions and froze em down
took a portion out fishing once - dogfish loved them!
ate the rest myself!

then again dogs a problem down where I go so maybe nothing else had a look in!
hope someone else comes up with something more positive, though I suspect that if they were a killer bait..they'd be selling them in the bait shops!:mellow:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply fiskrond just thinking of a hook filler for winter cod in the mersey saw one fellow last year catch a coddling of about 4 pounds gut it and small prawns and lug came out of its gut

·
Registered
88 Posts
Have to dis-agree every time I have used them they have caught, no tell a lie blanked once. On at least two occasions they have outfished fresh lug and squid on other rods, not as a filler either just straight. True dogfish love them but I have had a nice variety, dabs, whiting, codling, and the odd thornback up to 12lb. They are not a wonder bait, but definitely worth taking and they seem to be better for being frozen and de-frosted a few times!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sorry, just read original post again, have only used ones from Tesco when they have been reduced or on special offer. Might make a difference ........

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Even better live (say off a filter screen at a power station:whistling:) they are great bait anything from dabs to cod absolutely love them, single shrimp for dabs, half a dozen on a 4/0 for cod:yeah:

·
Registered
88 Posts
So far only used peeled, in a tray from the chilled cabinet. Thread on the hook like a worm. Leave a tag on the hook when you tie it on as they have a tendency to slide down over the point, helps most of the time.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I use prawns from the chinese supermarkets they have a good selection of types and sizes as i have said before the saltwater ones are a good bait the farmed freshwater ones are not
if it don't say salt water on the packet they are not
buyer beware comes to mind here dai

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
ive used the raw prawns from farmfoods and always caught on them either as a cocktail with other baits or on their own.
They worked very well on the codling last season and i will certainly use them again this winter for them.

·
Registered
856 Posts
ive used the raw prawns from farmfoods and always caught on them either as a cocktail with other baits or on their own.
They worked very well on the codling last season and i will certainly use them again this winter for them.
Prawn cocktail?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Not a widely used bait compared to lug n rag,peeler etc.

But prawn is a great bait,not really tried the freshwater prawn very much(but i have caught when trying it),but the prawn i catch and freeze myself are a great bait.

Plus fresh prawn used live or dead are also a great bait.

I tried some old prawns(found em in the bottom of me freezer),been in the freezer years,fished using them recently and had smoothounds and rays n dogs n Triggers

Fished a few times when the bites have been slow,netted some live prawn and used em live or fresh but killed.....suddenly the sea infront seems to have some fish after all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts