World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been roped into a sun holiday with my girlfriend to the Praya de Rocha in the Algarve. (I'd much rather be in Kerry in my chest waders!)Does anyone know anything about the fishing over there? Mick.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Evening Taff2.

Mick, what tackle will you be taking.

Fred

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure what tackle I'll be taking! Maybe just a multipiece beachcaster and small reel. What's the fishing like over there? If I go on a charter boat will I be able to rent tackle? Cheers. Mick

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mick,

At the moment I mostly fish from shore using light tackle up to 3.5 ozs. The ground along the whole of the Algarve is mixed, sand and rock formations, so you should be able to find some decent marks for spinning or float fishing. The west coast is out as you normally need heavy tackle to overcome the surf (baggage allowance). I am fairly new to fishing and fish mainly to the west of the Algarve, around Lagos and Luz. Good for bass and bream, my best so far has been a 3lb bass. A friend told me the area around Alvor, just west of Praia da Rocha is good, and I will be trying it on my next trip. By the way in english your resort is called the beach of rocks, so it might be worth a look.

My boat fishing has been out of Lagos but I'm in the process of changing charters. The last one was the pits. I'm sure you will be abe to get charters out of Portimao.
When exactly are you going. I shall be going myself in 3 weeks and will be trying out a new charter boat. If you're not going until later, I can let you know how I got on when I get back.

Fred

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fred,

Many thanks for the comprehensive advice! If you ever fancy a trip to Carlingford, I'll return the favour! What's the availability of bait like over there? I'll be there from 23rd to the 29th of May. Cheers. Mick

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mick,

The locals tend to use squid, prawn or shellfish. To be honest their catches are usually quite small, but as they do fish for the pot, nothing goes back. I,m told you can get lug locally but I,ve yet to find a supplier. My advise would be to take a travelling rod, fish light and spin and float. It's good fun.

If you do go out on a charter they will supply tackle and bait. If you can,t find a boat in Praia da Rocha, try Portimao which is next door, to the east, or failing that Lagos to the west. If you fish there there I would recommend Pescamar ,who offer big game and bottom fishing. The number, if you ring on your Irish Mobile or from Eire is 00351 966193431. Leave of the 00351 if you ring on a Portuguese phone.

Thanks for the kind offer. I've got a busy year ahead but from what I've read about the fishing your side of the water, I shall have to sample it soon. Have a good time in Portugal. You'll like the people, nice and friendly just like you Irish.

Fred

Fred

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Mick
Not that I'd necessarily recommend it but the locals at Cape Sao Vincente, to the west of Sagres used to sight cast to Bass, Bluefish and Little Tunny with small fish baits on bubble floats from the top of the cliffs. It's 300' up! And most years they seemed to lose one or two of the fishermen over the edge.

We used to fish small boats around the headlands though trolling either small Rapalas, Tobies or sandeel patterns with a small lead 20' up front. However that was all organised by a Dutchman who unfortunately died some years ago.

Commercially, offshore, the locals also catch Conger Eels and Bream species. The bream species go right upto the huge Meagre - 50 and 60 pounders.

They also catch Blue Sharks. Whilst I've seen really big fish, most certainly those caught by the tourist boats seem to be pups, sub 40 pounders. Makos also turn up.

And be very careful if anyone shows you pictures of Blue Marlin. They're VERY rare - one or two a year. But to the east of the Algarve, normally in August/September, they do seem to catch numbers of smaller White Marlin. they can be fun on light tackle.

One final observation. Whilst I've never fished on that Atlantic coastline, just over the mountains, the beaches are classic storm beaches and I suspect you'd encounter lots of Bass there.

Enjoy your trip!
Dave West
Chairman - Sportfishing Club of the British Isles
www.scbi.org.uk

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I know it's not in the salt, but it might be of some interest. One of our members just reported back from a trip to the Algarve where he had some good sport fly fishing for Carp in a reservoir - Barragim de Decho - in the mountains. It's eastwards towards the Spanish border.

He was plagued with terrapins as well as Carp when using bait, but then changed over to the fly. Fishing a buzzer, suspended below a dry fly, the best fish he had went 12lb 2oz on a 6lb tippet.

Might be worth taking a fly rod as well?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would tend to leave the beach gear at home and take some light tackle. Ignore Portimao / Praia and head for the mullet fishing at Lagos which was spectacular two years ago. The locals were hopeless - about 20 of them were float fishing round me and caught hee-haw while it was a mullet a drop on freelined bread on a size 12 hook. Never hooked any of the monsters althought there were some around. The look on the locals face as you catch AND THEN RETURN fish after fish was a picture. My girlfriend even caught 2 in about 5 mins !!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
hi all

as im off to Luz tomorrow with light spinning gear, i just wondered if Fred, or anyone had any specific marks around Luz, Sagres or the Carrapateria area?

i have been a couple of times and know it for surfing but not fishing.

Fred what did you catch your 3lb'er on, did you have any success spinning in the day?

cheers

·
Registered
325 Posts
Homer

On the rocks in front of Luz. There is a point in Luz, below the church where there is a slight rock promotory. I usually spin to the left of this. The locals tend to ledger from the promotory. On my last trip I was told be a Brit who lives there that the best bassing spot was to the right of the prom. Follow the road that goes past The Bull Pub and past Kelly's Pub and continue until the road changes from made up to dirt. Go down to the rocks along there and fish to the left. If the rocks are black and wet watch out, they can be slippery.

Let me know how you get on. Have a good time.

Fred

·
Registered
325 Posts
Dreaming, I,m always dreaming............

Fred

PS If you get anyting bigger than a 3lb bass, don't tell me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mick did you have any luck on your trip to Portugal.

Fred

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dunno if Mick did but i didn't Fred! :confused:

Fished 5 out of 7 days (slack i know) varying the times but mostly in the evening on the right side of the point at Praia Da Luz.

Mostly spinning with a toby or bubble float and sandeel - not a sausage - in the end i would've been happy with landing a sausage.

snorkelled there a lot too and on a really flat calm clear day when there was little wind i saw thousands of 0 - 2" bait fish hugging the point along with quads of mullet pattrolling the scene aswell as some shoals of other reef fish.

after i'd seen this i just couldnt believe why there werent a few bass around.

The friends i went with slaughtered me for not catching their tea and had an empty plate party for me on the last day - cheers

back in devon now wondering what more i could have done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have fished Praya De Rocha a couple of times off of the long break water. Most of the locals fish into the river for a bream like fish
(5 lb ish) using small worms and a 2oz lead.
I have used mussel to catch with good results and small redgills (white) a long trace (3 mts) behind a float in the breakers.
I normally take a 12 foot telescopic and a small fixed spool.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
alvor is good fishing, if you make your way towards the breakwater, you will find a sea lock(natural) running into the river alvor, the river is tidal and if you look at low water it has vast cockle beds, this is the common bait, along with mussel that can be cropped from the breakwater, bass is the number one target in the river/sand spits, it also looks as if it holds a good chance of flatties.
if you walk towards the village you will see some boat yards/ sheds, here the sell the lugworm.
there is a nice boat that runs out of the river, british owner, smart boat, may be rink a dink for holiday makers though.
nice little village is alvor, although sea food is much too dear, so catch your own:) .
when i was there the problem was a large red algea bloom, fishing was hopeless.
it does look good though, if you have a nose for things.
i caught several small bream on float in the lock, on mussell.
some nice bird watching on the tidal flats as well.
be back there this year, however, not in july or august.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts