World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,394 Posts
Mick
Not that I'd necessarily recommend it but the locals at Cape Sao Vincente, to the west of Sagres used to sight cast to Bass, Bluefish and Little Tunny with small fish baits on bubble floats from the top of the cliffs. It's 300' up! And most years they seemed to lose one or two of the fishermen over the edge.

We used to fish small boats around the headlands though trolling either small Rapalas, Tobies or sandeel patterns with a small lead 20' up front. However that was all organised by a Dutchman who unfortunately died some years ago.

Commercially, offshore, the locals also catch Conger Eels and Bream species. The bream species go right upto the huge Meagre - 50 and 60 pounders.

They also catch Blue Sharks. Whilst I've seen really big fish, most certainly those caught by the tourist boats seem to be pups, sub 40 pounders. Makos also turn up.

And be very careful if anyone shows you pictures of Blue Marlin. They're VERY rare - one or two a year. But to the east of the Algarve, normally in August/September, they do seem to catch numbers of smaller White Marlin. they can be fun on light tackle.

One final observation. Whilst I've never fished on that Atlantic coastline, just over the mountains, the beaches are classic storm beaches and I suspect you'd encounter lots of Bass there.

Enjoy your trip!
Dave West
Chairman - Sportfishing Club of the British Isles
www.scbi.org.uk

· Registered
2,394 Posts
I know it's not in the salt, but it might be of some interest. One of our members just reported back from a trip to the Algarve where he had some good sport fly fishing for Carp in a reservoir - Barragim de Decho - in the mountains. It's eastwards towards the Spanish border.

He was plagued with terrapins as well as Carp when using bait, but then changed over to the fly. Fishing a buzzer, suspended below a dry fly, the best fish he had went 12lb 2oz on a 6lb tippet.

Might be worth taking a fly rod as well?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.