World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never pre bait a trace and keep it suspended from my tripod as i tend to fish the same mark and have discovered that lug works best,when i strip off the old lug and re bait i reckon it takes seconds less than un clipping a trace getting the new trace off the tripod and clipping it back on, then you have to strip and rebait the trace you have just unclipped running the risk of missing a bite. also if it's lug the juices are just dripping onto the floor for how ever long. i know this method would save a lot of time with cocktailed baits tied up with cotton, and in a match where the bait needs to be in the water and every second counts but is it really neccessary when pleasure fishing as i see it a lot.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
not neccesary but you cant catch unless the tackle is in the water :laugh: sometimes presentation is everything and not having to rush to get out again is the difference :secret: or maybe to try a couple of different rigs???/

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
or maybe to try a couple of different rigs???/
i agree have different rigs ready to clip on but not sure about having them pre baited, as i see it the time taken to bait up is seconds rather than minutes.

·
Super Moderator
23,586 Posts
I do double pat as normally there is more than just your bait to sort out-i.e weed and tangles. I am also aware to not bait the spare trace until moments before reeeling in the previous rod as don't want all the juices to run out.

·
Banned
460 Posts
What if you were to pre-bait and then place the bait into a small container with some pilchard oil or some other bait attractant. In doing so any lug juice will then mingle with the pilchard oil as opposed to dripping out and being wasted.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I now have several one rig for each rod used dangling from the tripod but only bait up fish or squid baits straight away after casting the other rig out.
This is because I use bait elastic to secure these baits which can eat away time if using multi hook rigs or pennel set ups.

When using worms I try and work out how long they are lasting before being stripped by crabs or as I reel in every 15 mins when using worm as the scent gets washed out, I rebait the hanging rigs just before reeling in the other rigs.
I can then unclip, clip, cast within 30 seconds or so to maximise bait time in the water.

Also when Whiting or Cod fishing on the East coast you find fish come through in waves and you really need to get a bait/baits out quickly during these windows when the fish are in front of you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.