World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, as I'm just about to delve into the world of "proper" boats from having a Zodiac for years, I need a little advice as to whether this combo is an ok deal or not?? I've looked at the prices of engine, trailer and boat seperatley and come to the conclusion that its slightly overpriced or the elecronics (GPS,etc) are very good!? Would appreciate any advice before I delve in please??!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271077610157?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
What prices have you found separately? - I imagine it would be very hard to find a second hand Predator for sale on a boat only basis - it does compare to prices you'd expect to pay for a similar age and powered Warrior 165 which seems to set the price points for this market (a lot on the market do seem to be very ambitiously priced though) - don't know much about Predators but I believe the 165 offers some useful improvements over the 160 - perhaps someone in the know could advise, or you could ask Predator themselves.

With a bit of negotiation this could provide better value: http://fishing.boatsandoutboards.co...g-samurai-60hp-yam-4-stroke-rc-trailer-JFF451 - a year newer - a boat that has a more spacious interior and 10 extra hp - this one is fuel injected (the ebay ad doesn't say if it's a fuel injected engine) which offers significant advantages over a carb 4 stroke engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Clinker! That one you pointed out was too far down south so have decided to go for the one I posted the link to! Whether or not it's fuel injected or carbs will remain to be seen!!

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Not saying one or the other of the boats in this thread is the better - only you can decide that (you would be surprised how much bigger the interior of the Seahog feels, compared to the Predator though) - but generally speaking you tend to have a boat for a long time, so I would say it's well worth an extra couple of days of your time to be prepared to travel to get the right boat - a lot cheaper in the long run than getting a less than ideal one on the basis that it's closer to home. I'd also ascertain that the owner is prepared to launch it when you visit for the viewing, otherwise you will have to visit it twice anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice if you've got unlimited money to spend on fuel travelling the country, but I feel that the predator 160 with the Suzuki F50 outboard (done 82 hrs) has been an excellent choice for us and I got him down a few hundred quid as well!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Nice if you've got unlimited money to spend on fuel travelling the country, but I feel that the predator 160 with the Suzuki F50 outboard (done 82 hrs) has been an excellent choice for us and I got him down a few hundred quid as well!
I would think that it's underpowered with a 50hp and therefore will be working hard and thirsty.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
How to put people off forums part 3.................

i think they are offering you the advice you asked for with regards to the combo spending a few hours in a car to buy an boat with a better engine which will also be cheaper to run makes more sense to me

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
How to put people off forums part 3.................
You asked for advice, you got advice, you chose to ignore it................

Seriously though, if you're happy with what you've bought, that's all that matters. Have lots of fun and don't be afraid to ask for advice.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I would think that it's underpowered with a 50hp and therefore will be working hard and thirsty.
Agreed.
Mate bought a 165 with a 50hp & 2 up plus gear it was sluggish & struggled to get on the plane (was advised against it but bought it anyway).
Had to be driven hard on the throttle all the time.
Eventually bit the bullet & part exed the engine against a 70hp & what a difference :thumbs:
Better on fuel with the 70hp aswell, besides much better performance.
Cost him quite a bit to accept his mistake though :g:

headlight

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I think I am right in saying the Predator 160 is designed for outboards up to 60hp only?? Or that is what the manufacturers recommend but not necessarily true?????
Sorry Jay my mistake :doh: you are quite correct my mate had a 165 Predator which are rated to 80hp.
Hope you are happy with your purchase :thumbs:

headlight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts