World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, having a few problems with casting braid, and need some expert advice. I'm using 16ft greys triplex (multiplier rung) shimano ultegra fixedspool, 20lb berkley whiplash braid, tapered shockleaders,improved allbright knot. I'm getting snapped due to the braid wrapping itself around the first eye of the rod(butt eye) when i cast. I,ve tried moving the reel down the butt and casting that way but stil results in the same problem. I thought the reel might have been too close to the bottom ring and debated taking the ring off . Could it be the knot pulling loops of braid off the spool? By the way the snaps seem to be occuring about 2foot away from the leader knot on the braid side and always seem to be around the first ring. Any solutions anyone? Thanks in advance, Ste.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Moving the reel up the butt toward the first ring should eliminate the problem, if it doesn't buy a large diameter ring and tape it onto the blank between the first ring and the top of the handle.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Notice youre using a fixed spool reel on a multiplier rod so might be worth changing the butt ring to a 50mm one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
i'm no expert but imo you answered your own question...your using a multiplyer rod with a fixed spool. The eye nearest the reel will probably be too small and too close to it meaning when the braid flies off the spool it will get caught due to the looping off the line as it comes off the spool..... Try borowing a rod built for a fixed spool and see if you get the same problem.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads, experianced the same problem with the reel up the butt. One of my mates has the fixed spool version of the rod so going to try that. On a lot of the rods marketed for braid the rings are quite small so didnt think it would cause much of a problem

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Cheers lads, experianced the same problem with the reel up the butt. One of my mates has the fixed spool version of the rod so going to try that. On a lot of the rods marketed for braid the rings are quite small so didnt think it would cause much of a problem
Depends on what size spool the reel has though and distance first ring is from the reel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem.Using a tapered shock leader solved it.Re ring sizes I doubt they are the cause,just look at the size of fuji low riders,which are fitted to continental type rods.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already using tapered shock leaders. Do you fully load up the spool or keep the braid 5-10mm back from the lip?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hi always underfill the spool with braid as it has a tendancy to dragg loops off underfilling should stop that with a bit of luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Forgot to add I doubled the braid and tied back to back grinner (5 turn)knots.I'm using shimano fixed spool and greys 14foot triplex.When I first tried braid/fixed spool I cracked off three out three!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The difference with the continental style rods with low riders is the spacing of the first ring, on my Penn powerstix 15ft even if I have the reel(fixed spool) in my preffered position it is about 2.5ft to the first ring, compare this to my aero xtr (continental style) the first ring is 5ft from the fixed reel position.

·
Registered
80 Posts
it could be the size of the butt ring as the braid mite not be coning down fast enouth.
ive been using whiplash for long range carp fishing for the last 1 1/2 years. and found soaking it with water befor casting solved alot of problems, mainly wind knots and coils coming of the spool. mite be worth a try. by the way its the 20lb stuff ive been using, ive been told that the 30lb is alot more complyant.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As the lads have said using a tapered shock leader will solve the problem i like you had the same problem when i changed over to braid about five years ago a lot of snap off's until i started to use tapered shock leaders problem solved.
You can use braid straight through in the heavier line's but be warned it can do damage to your finger if you don't use a finger stall.
I have used a multi rod with braid and there is no problem changing rings to 50mm will spoil the action of the rod and is not the reason you are getting snap off's.
mono is a stiff line especially in the heavier stuff like leaders and braid is a limp line i think this is where the problem occurs, a big leader knot going through the rings is slowed down and gives the braid a chance to coil behind it and catch in the rings, a slicker knot with tapered shock leader wont do this.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello all, having a few problems with casting braid, and need some expert advice. I'm using 16ft greys triplex (multiplier rung) shimano ultegra fixedspool, 20lb berkley whiplash braid, tapered shockleaders,improved allbright knot. I'm getting snapped due to the braid wrapping itself around the first eye of the rod(butt eye) when i cast. I,ve tried moving the reel down the butt and casting that way but stil results in the same problem. I thought the reel might have been too close to the bottom ring and debated taking the ring off . Could it be the knot pulling loops of braid off the spool? By the way the snaps seem to be occuring about 2foot away from the leader knot on the braid side and always seem to be around the first ring. Any solutions anyone? Thanks in advance, Ste.
hi trishy
had the same problem not so long ago,using berkley whiplash 20lb dia 00.6[shakespeare k2 15ft rung for fixed spool and surfmaster 850 fs reel] its just to thin,any wind at all and it will get caught round the eyes i use the braid for mackeral fishing and only when there is no wind mates use r thompson braid 80lb breaking strain[dia 0.26 ] mostly for snaggy beaches,and it works well,i,m o you are up against it with the whiplash for general fishing,and should go for a higher b/s bigger dia of braid,and a rod rung for f,s[now using ultima f2 titanium 15lb 0,32 dia for genaral fishing]
hope this helps
fish hunter02

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I HAVE BEEN USING TAPERED LEADERS! Thanks for the replys lads i will try the sugestion out and report back. Thanks. Ste.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Think i've sorted it lads. think i was tying the albright knot wrong so did a bit of homework on it. Took the butt ring off the rod and reversed it so there was no frame for the braid to wrap around. Stripped the braid off the spool, took some backing off and respooled. A lot better, smoother casting and less problems. Tried it out over the weekend and came 2nd in the NWASAC open at Otterspool. Happy days:happy::happy::happy: Thanks for all the advice. ste

1 - 17 of 17 Posts