World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to the Marina at 0645 for a 7am start to my 10 hour Panga trip with Hector of Poositas Fleet. I had booked the trip a few days ago though Stan Gabruk of Master Baiters Sportfishing and Tackle.
We picked up some extra fuel in case it was needed and then some bait fish from a boat moored just outside of the marina. Hector asked me what I would like to catch, my answer being Tuna, Dorado and Sailfish. My previous best tuna being 21 years ago, a little one of about 14lb.
We set off about 40 miles into the Pacific Ocean until we came across the biggest pod of Dolphins I had ever seen, there were hundreds, if not thousands of them, all circling their breakfast in the dark blue water. While they were rounding up the smaller fish and performing all manner of acrobatic feats, which were a joy to watch, the birds above were dive-bombing the water to pick off what they could and the occasional splash would see a Yellowfin Tuna or Marlin break the surface as it also took its share.
All manner of jigs, trolled lures and live baits were sent out behind the boat by Hector and his crew and within a couple of minutes one of the reels screamed off line as what turned out to be the biggest fish of the day took the hook. This fish was taken on a 20lb class rod and a Shimano TLD20 loaded with 20lb line. Its first run must have taken a good 200-300 yards of line as it went very deep and away from the boat. It took me what seemed like an hour, but was probably half that, to get it within sight of the surface. It continued to stay just out of gaffing range going in circles around the boat and occasionally crash diving again just as I thought I had it beaten. Eventually though it was boated, leaving me sweating, shaking with emotion, exhilaration and adrenalin! It actually weighed 75lb and was one of the biggest the skipper has had in recent times.
A couple of smaller fish weighing around 10-20lb followed in the next few minutes and then I got another 75lb’er. This one came in a lot quicker, taking only about 10 minutes to beat but still leaving me exhausted. No sooner was this one in the boat than one of the other rods hooked up. I did not get time to get my breath back before I was handed this one and then spent another 30 minutes to land a 50lb Yellowfin!
The next couple of hours saw me catch a further 3 Tuna around the 10-50lb mark giving me a total of 8 Yellowfin Tuna almost all of which had beaten my previous best.
“Time for a rest” Hector said, “let’s get you a Marlin”. My thoughts at this time can not be put into words here after landing around 300lb of tuna in a few hours, the thought of having to play possibly 600lb of pure muscle were frightening to say the least!
Luckily although we saw a few, and much as it is my dream to catch one, they did not want to play ball.
It was getting close to time to head back to port so we had a go for Dorado. When we found them, they were an amazing sight, their vivid blue colour being visible from 50 yards or more away. They did not want to end up on my dinner plate either and although one was hooked right alongside the boat it quickly spat out the hook and swam away. These were big fish of around 30-50lb and amazingly fast. We spotted more on the way in and Hector did his best to get me one but without any luck.
We arrived back at the marina at just before 5pm, photos were taken, I took a couple of fillets from one of the smaller tuna and gave the rest to the skipper. He apparently gives most of it to a local children’s home / orphanage so none of it was wasted.
I still have to catch a Sailfish and a Dorado to achieve my fishing ambitions but they will have to wait until next year somewhere else, but I had a thoroughly enjoyable day, one that will stay in my memory forever.
The cost of the trip for 10 hours was $400 but if there are 2-3 of you this is for the boat so can be split between you. I chose to go on my own so it was not a cheap trip but I certainly got my moneys worth!
Hector can be contacted on 322 297 4329 and Master Baiters on 322 779 7571. Stan tells me that he is shortly setting up a Master Baiters in Bermuda and also hopefully elsewhere.
I have also given him a WSF referral card so we may well see some more local reports from him. He reports on catches from this area for some of the US mags and newspapers so it will be good to have him aboard.
Some pictures below:

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Nice one Terry. I take it they used a baseball bat to dispatch the Tuna (Pic 2 lol)

Lee.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well done Terry...

... Are you sure you are in Mexico? That looks like Felixtowe docks there :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nice one Terry.

I'm in Turkey for a week (3 to 10 May) - hopefully i'll wet a line or two. I caught Dorado last year - great fighters!

I'll report on what happens when i get back.

Best wishes, Mick.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi mate,

Well done!!! Really great report and fantastic pictures. :clap3: Glad that you are enjoying yourself. Did the missus go shopping for the day? I would hate to see your credit card when you get back mate, i'll bet its red hot!
Your spate of blanking has been broken bud :yahoo:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Well done, Terry!

Just showed the piccies to the missus and said that I'd like a fishing tip to Mexico. Divorce is on its way!! :clap2:

The bonus is that now Frank will have to speak to you politely and call you "Sir". :g: :g: :uhuh:

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
great report, great pics and joy to read well done mate:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
sounds like you had a great day out mate and well done!
Like you said not a cheap day for one but as its a one off, money well spent i say!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well done Terry.

Don't they pull back on lightish tackle!!!

I hope that one of our more experienced BG anglers can correct me, but one of those Yellowfins looks remarkably like a juvenile Bluefin.
It could simply be it has been out of the water a while and I haven't referred back to any ID manuals, but it could just possibly be another species on your check list.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Well done Terry! Certainly sounds as if you had a good trip and upped your PB by a significant amount. Yellowfin, just like all the tuna species, are strong fish especially in deep water.

Working around pods of Dolphin is certainly a good way of locating them. Even though you spot the YFT deep on the sounder in my experience strikes only seem to happen when the Dophin are actively feeding.

Well fingers crossed for your next trip!

All the Best
Dave

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Well done Terry.

Don't they pull back on lightish tackle!!!

I hope that one of our more experienced BG anglers can correct me, but one of those Yellowfins looks remarkably like a juvenile Bluefin.
It could simply be it has been out of the water a while and I haven't referred back to any ID manuals, but it could just possibly be another species on your check list.
In juveniles Tom those classic overextended second dorsal and anal fins will not have developed. So, without the 'old oracle' bit raking over the entails - the liver and gill rakers, I'm fairly certain they're YFT. Although there's always a possibility that there're a result of hybridation with Pacific BigEye. The species often migrate together.

As to Bluefin. Um....it's possible but again with smaller fish you'd really need to carry out an autopsy. They certainly catch then further north in Californian waters, but normally in more temperate waters.

But as always with fish migrations, never say never. I recall once we caught a mini tuna off Panama, with strange small conical teeth. The crew weren't interested, it was just bait. And my friend and I speculated at the time as to its identity. What was it? A Kawakawa. Normally the closest they get to the eastern Pacific is the Hawaiian Islands.
Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Terry Went Fishing with me and you can well imagine catching several Yellowfin tuna made his day..... I remember he was a little worried about catching fish. But he came back all smiles....

Send me an e-mail after the divorce starts and I'll take care of you..... Or better yet, we'll put your wife in a spa, and you can fish knowing she'll be as relaxed as she could be, before you return from the trip... Ha ha ha ha....

Watch for my reports on this site.. coming soon.

Stan
Master Baiter's Sportfishing and Tackle
www.mbsportsfishing.com (web page)
[email protected] (e-mail)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello Terry, I took your advice and joined up...

I'll start submitting reports weekly for the members.....

I loved the pictures... I'll post them next week on the fishing report I write here in PV or Puerto Vallarta.....

Check out www.mbsportsfishing.com to click on the link or go to www.vallartatribune.com and click on the fishing report link.

Thanks again for the invitation and if you have any other sites you think I may be interested in, please suggest away...

Stan
Master Baiter's Sportfishing and Tackle
www.mbsportsfishing.com

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the site Stan! Have a good look round, especially at the UK Forums and you will see why what I caught with you made my whole holiday worthwhile:) .
Hopefully you will see a few more UK anglers out there after those mexican game fish and I hope to be be back as soon as I can for the Marlin and Dorado that I left behind:boat:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts