World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone can help but somewhere on this website (i am 99% sure i have seen it on here) there is a diagram of a pulley rig that is designed to hold the bait on a bait clip so you can get distance and still use a pulley rig at the same time.

I am sure i have seen it on here and i want to try it monday when i go to Hythe becasue everyone recommends a pulley pennel for codling but the way i normally use pulley rigs i just dont think i will get any distance on the cast with the bait trailing behind.

I have looked through the rigs and knots section and unless i am just simply missing it i cant find it anywhere, i can see the rough ground cod pulley rig but that isnt the one i am thinking off. Does anyone know the one i mean and could advise me how to find it please??

Cheers all.

Will :fish:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi there I saw your post,

I dont know where you could find a post about it but i make my own rigs and there have been a few people off the forum that have bought some in the past.
Pulley Pennel Rigs are what i make also.
They are my first choise when on the Beach that im new to and unsure of the ground as they work well avoiding snaggs.
What is it you want to know about them ?
PM me if you would like a detailed desc. on how to make them or if you want to buy some.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your replies, that has been a great help. I will give the rig a try on monday, lets just hope there are some fish around now!! :fish:

Hi there I saw your post,

I dont know where you could find a post about it but i make my own rigs and there have been a few people off the forum that have bought some in the past.
Pulley Pennel Rigs are what i make also.
They are my first choise when on the Beach that im new to and unsure of the ground as they work well avoiding snaggs.
What is it you want to know about them ?
PM me if you would like a detailed desc. on how to make them or if you want to buy some.
DesertRat thanks for your offer buddy, for now i think i will be ok with the info i have to make up the rig but i will bear you in mind for the future. Cheers mate.

Cheers all.

Will

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
i want to try it monday when i go to Hythe becasue everyone recommends a pulley pennel for codling

Absolutely not!! Far better rigs for codling, or anything else for that matter, on the open beach. Pulley rigs just make clipping up and casting easier. For some that is enough to use them 100%. Personally, I prefer to fish rigs that are better for catching fish than for casting.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Absolutely not!! Far better rigs for codling, or anything else for that matter, on the open beach. Pulley rigs just make clipping up and casting easier. For some that is enough to use them 100%. Personally, I prefer to fish rigs that are better for catching fish than for casting.
what rig would you recommend for codling buddy? still consider myself a novice hence why askin

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
what rig would you recommend for codling buddy? still consider myself a novice hence why askin
Rather depends on baits, locations etc. For a self hooking worm rig, a simple single paternoster takes some beating. For bigger baits I am happiest fishing a running paternoster, although to accomodate the hooklink and still be aerodynamic, you can only really do it with a DVice.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you go to seafishing.org there is a really good selection on rig making, baits ect. Link are on the left hand side for these.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
use the pennel pully, in my opinioin its the best rig for codling by a country mile of the beach m8. great casting rig, presents the bait real nice, oh and it catches coddys. i had 99% of my cod from the beach on them. some people prefer other rigs but each to their own. ive had my fair share on them, people say they dont hook the fish well but ive never had this problem. the cod normaly breaks out the lead giving you a slack liner, which normaly results in th self hooking of the fish. ive yet to lose one useing a pennel pully. it worked again on thursday night.:spiteful:

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
use the pennel pully, in my opinioin its the best rig for codling by a country mile of the beach m8. great casting rig, presents the bait real nice, oh and it catches coddys. i had 99% of my cod from the beach on them. some people prefer other rigs but each to their own. ive had my fair share on them, people say they dont hook the fish well but ive never had this problem. the cod normaly breaks out the lead giving you a slack liner, which normaly results in th self hooking of the fish. ive yet to lose one useing a pennel pully. it worked again on thursday night.:spiteful:
Maybe its something to do with the venues, but in February this year at Dengemarsh I lost at least nine fish on the way in, and more falling off as I dragged them up the shingle. (rapidly jumped upon by myself, not something I like to do as I get older... :) ) It certainly made me stop and think. Hook or rig? I decided to change the rig. Next trip out, using the same hook but a running paternoster, all 35 cod caught were deep. Not a single one lost. All shore catches. Take on board all the advice, do your own experiments, and see what works for you. I'm off in a minute, and tempted to do a comparison test, but that would mean sacrificing my sole rod, so I probably wont..... ;)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Maybe its something to do with the venues, but in February this year at Dengemarsh I lost at least nine fish on the way in, and more falling off as I dragged them up the shingle. (rapidly jumped upon by myself, not something I like to do as I get older... :) ) It certainly made me stop and think. Hook or rig? I decided to change the rig. Next trip out, using the same hook but a running paternoster, all 35 cod caught were deep. Not a single one lost. All shore catches. Take on board all the advice, do your own experiments, and see what works for you. I'm off in a minute, and tempted to do a comparison test, but that would mean sacrificing my sole rod, so I probably wont..... ;)
thats fishing m8. it works for me. im not the biggest caster in the world and i find i can cast a pully rig alot further than other rigs. i feel confidant that if and when i have a nice slack liner its on and stays on.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your responses, some interesting views and good points there, all of which i will take on board.

I was once fishing off a pier where distance wasnt an issue so i just had a straight through pulley pennel, the weight and slider was on the main line with a stop swivel and a couple of beads with the snood coming off that, i was with 4 mates, we had the same bait, were casting the same distance, probably not more than 15 yards apart, i was the only one to catch codling all night and the only difference between us was i had a pulley rig with a long snood length. That is what made me think if i could distance cast a rig like that i may stand a better chance of a codling off the beach.

Maybe that was coincedence and i know fishing can be like that where one person seems to get all the luck. I will give the pulley a go, i think to be honest if a codling passes you bait it will go for it but perhaps a pulley rig leaves a bait in a depth that codling like to feed.....who knows, perhaps im looking to far in to this.....lol :fish:

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Thanks for all your responses, some interesting views and good points there, all of which i will take on board.

I was once fishing off a pier where distance wasnt an issue so i just had a straight through pulley pennel, the weight and slider was on the main line with a stop swivel and a couple of beads with the snood coming off that, i was with 4 mates, we had the same bait, were casting the same distance, probably not more than 15 yards apart, i was the only one to catch codling all night and the only difference between us was i had a pulley rig with a long snood length. That is what made me think if i could distance cast a rig like that i may stand a better chance of a codling off the beach.

Maybe that was coincedence and i know fishing can be like that where one person seems to get all the luck. I will give the pulley a go, i think to be honest if a codling passes you bait it will go for it but perhaps a pulley rig leaves a bait in a depth that codling like to feed.....who knows, perhaps im looking to far in to this.....lol :fish:
sounds like you have already made your mind up m8. if it works for you then keep useing it.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

If you are looking to use a long hook length then try Robs advice,but as he said it's infinately easier using a "Dvice".

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
If you are looking to use a long hook length then try Robs advice,but as he said it's infinately easier using a "Dvice".
since when? ill admit the dvice is a good bit of kit, but you cant beat a pully rig for....everything!

ask most of the lads who hit the cod hard what rigs they use i bet the pennel pully is up there above most rigs including the d-vice

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
since when? ill admit the dvice is a good bit of kit, but you cant beat a pully rig for....everything!

ask most of the lads who hit the cod hard what rigs they use i bet the pennel pully is up there above most rigs including the d-vice
You know over a period of time you begin to get an impression of somebody that you've never met? I've actually done this with you,and the impression that I got was that you were "on top of your game" which is whyI find this statement so confusing,are you naive enough to suggest we just go out with a wallet always full of pullies?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I seem to remember a sesh last year at Dungie when a certain gilley lost me a good Coddy on a Pulley Rig by grabbing the snood and not the fish...Simples..

But that fishing ..:wiggle:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts