World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to install a lower pulling eye to my QS620 as the existing one tends to pull the bow down onto the trailer and causes increased friction.
It is impractical to incease the height of the winch post as it is at the max height possible.
I have discussed this issue with another forum member and he has suggested that I should use a u bolt rather than an eye bolt.

My question is whether or not I can install just above the bottom of the chain locker and what I would need to put extra strength and if so how?
The load will only be pulling onto trailer whilst the boat is still floating.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I need to install a lower pulling eye to my QS620 as the existing one tends to pull the bow down onto the trailer and causes increased friction.
It is impractical to incease the height of the winch post as it is at the max height possible.
I have discussed this issue with another forum member and he has suggested that I should use a u bolt rather than an eye bolt.

My question is whether or not I can install just above the bottom of the chain locker and what I would need to put extra strength and if so how?

As long as you can get to the inside of the hull, where you bolt up the "U" bolt, you just need to make up a plate/strip of ply to spread the load, and use penny washers under the nuts, for a proper job fibreglass in the plate, and use sealant in the newly drilled holes.

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Did exactly that to mine for the same reason.

Used a U Bolt and a backing pad of marine ply shaped to fit the hull at the bottom of the chain locker. Laminated it in and used a stainless plate to spead the load over the pad.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Chris,
Do you happen to know what size you used as the original is 8mm which seems lightweight.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
Most U bolts come with a small steel backing plate anyway. In the pointy end it is likely that the grp and mat is quite thick, and there may not be much room to put another ply load spreader. If that is the case I wouldn't worry, my 23 foot boat has a U-bolt for trailer connection and that doesn't have a backing pad, only the standard metal plate that comes with the U bolt (although the hull thickness at that point is very thick). As long as the boat is not dangling from the eye it is very unlikely to pull out! Hope that helps...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Hi Rob if you explain the whole issue with the slipway you are having with your launch/retrieve. You might get advice from someone who has the same problem and advise a better method of retrieving.

It might save work and drilling more holes in your boat. But giving the whole picture on your problem to see what the guys say would help.:g:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Cant you adjust the height of the winch post on your trailer??

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As stated impractical to raise without major alterations to the trailer as the height would still be wrong.

Where I am launching mostly is on loch where water range is only about 300mm but depends how much it rains. The slip is made from concrete rail sleepers and stops short and the beech drops away very deep so the trailer will drop off the edge and onto the chassis.

The whole issue is that I think that the original was set too high as I am not the only one. The boat has quite high freeboard at the bow.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
As stated impractical to raise without major alterations to the trailer as the height would still be wrong.

Where I am launching mostly is on loch where water range is only about 300mm but depends how much it rains. The slip is made from concrete rail sleepers and stops short and the beech drops away very deep so the trailer will drop off the edge and onto the chassis.

The whole issue is that I think that the original was set too high as I am not the only one. The boat has quite high freeboard at the bow.
Your right then. Having a lower eye would raise the bow and give you a better angle with the boat to winch it on to the trailer. And if my guess is right with all the rain we have had - torrential recently in Scotland - you will hopefully have a higher water level to help you.

Is this a similar model to your boat? Does the U bolt on this one look high too?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts