World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

i usually fish with a pully pennel rig. I tend to buy these pre-made on Ebay.

i noticed last night my friend was also using a pully pennel rig but his was a lot longer then mine.

is there any benefits to it being longer and if so what is the ideal length?

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Hi guys,

i usually fish with a pully pennel rig. I tend to buy these pre-made on Ebay.

i noticed last night my friend was also using a pully pennel rig but his was a lot longer then mine.

is there any benefits to it being longer and if so what is the ideal length?

thanks in advance!
Its all down to personal preference but I use about 4 to 5 foot for Rays and 3 foot for everything else, You are going to get a variety of answers but remember a short trace will cast better than a long one. Its also worth asking your self if you actually need a Pulley rig in the first place as its primarily a rough ground rig.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I dont know who you are buying off Ebay but go on facebook and look up
Off the Hook Rigs & Tackle
message Ger Williams he will sort you out just had some rig`s excellent quality and his prices are really good

·
Registered
102 Posts
I generally make or adjust rigs for each trip based on species, mark, bait, and conditions. I don't think that there is a single ideal dimension for any rig but obviously if you fish a lot in one place, then there may be lengths that are better than others.

If you think about it, a pulley rig is just a fancy paternoster when it's actually fishing. So, your ideal hook length for that paternoster is what determines the length of the rig. The side with the weight on it just needs to be longer than the hook length.

So, if your conditions mean you want a 3ft hook length, then use that and a weight side slightly longer. If you want shorter hook length, but one that fishes long way from the weight, then adjust accordingly.

I don't personally think that the difference between a 3ft and 4ft length is terribly significant in most cases. Unless someone finds a 4ft one difficult to cast for reasons of height.

:)

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
When fishing some times the fish are real finicky and using a longer hook length can be the difference in catching or not catching . There's not any rules to this and why it happens I don't think no one knows all the answers so it pays to have different rigs at different lengths to see what works best on the day. I think its all to do with competition on the day with fish so when there's loads of fish about they don't have time to muck about with the bait before one of there mates gets there meal

·
Premium Member
6,251 Posts
Hiya Scott,
A lot will also depend on the type of ground you're fishing over.
Most of the marks i fish regularily are clean to light mixed so i (& most of the lads i fish with) are using pulleys with maybe 3 to 4ft hooklengths- most of mine are made closer to 4ft than 3.
I do make some super dooper long ones with around a 6ft hooklength that work on one particular Ray mark which is fairly shallow but has a fairly strong tide run- it started off as a kind of joke among us about my longer pulleys.
I made these up for a p1ss take & was gobsmacked to bag up the 1st time i used them, 11 Thornbacks (i think it was) among a 20 odd fish mixed bag. I have to say though that they don't work that well every sesh, nor do i use them every sesh but occasionally i pull a rabbit out of the hat with them so to speak.
On the odd mixed or rough ground mark (especially kelp) we're using pulleys with only a 18inch to 2ft hooklength, anything longer imho seems to find the snags & kelp stalks too often.
Tight lines.
Rick;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
MAke the links short if fishing very rough ground if fishing for rays try a pulley dropper good rig over mixed and clean ground

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had several dog fish in consecutive casts with a hook lenth of around 50cm.
Ultimately the best way to see the difference is to try different lengths at your regular marks to see if it makes a difference. If your buying the rigs you could ask nicely to see if they can do you a few different lengths.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If you make them say 4ft in length if stuck you can allway`s shorten the rig up so save you carrying loads of different sizes .I also tie the snood with a clip that connects to the swivel on the main body so you can just clip off snood connect another snoods thats allready baited up cast it out then sort the fish you have just caught plus you can use any sized snood as its not part of the rig that gets strain when casting so for example you could make a 4 ft main body and use a 3ft snood or even smaller I am using the Trident Aero pully and the Gemini splash downs .You can try contacting Mark in H R Jones fishing 01792 447819 to see if he can do you a bulk deal of them mention my name Gerry .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts