World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
So I'm still learning about beach fishing and trying different rigs. Been using the pully rig on one rod with big baits (bluey, squid/worm wraps etc) and now and again on the cast the hook releases from the breakaway lead clip on the cast. Changed over to an " imp" I think it's called with the plastic clip and same thing happened on a few occasions. Anybody suggest ways of stopping this or what maybe causing it?
Many thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Hi mate, im guessing that during the cast that tension isnt constant on the hooklenght and therefore falls out mid cast.

I'd suggest getting some gemini splash down clips, they keep the hook secure until the 'splash' into the sea releases it. I rate them highly, and to date not 1 has released prematurely. Worth the money.

Screenshot_20181006-002227.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,426 Posts
Hello there,
So I'm still learning about beach fishing and trying different rigs. Been using the pully rig on one rod with big baits (bluey, squid/worm wraps etc) and now and again on the cast the hook releases from the breakaway lead clip on the cast. Changed over to an " imp" I think it's called with the plastic clip and same thing happened on a few occasions. Anybody suggest ways of stopping this or what maybe causing it?
Many thanks in advance for any help.
Hiya mate,
Premature hook release can be caused by a few things-
A jerky or snatched cast will often cause it but if you're using big baits once you get 2, 3 or 4 ounce of bait its harder for your lead to tow it out so the hook often unclips mid cast.
I fish big baits all the time & have been using the Gemini Splashdown leads & Solo clips for a good while now & very very rarely do i get a bait unclip early now & have yet to have one fail to unclip, they can be prone to getting clogged up with mud or grit but a quick dip in the sea easily clears it.
Rick;)

·
Registered
8,759 Posts
Agree with the above about bigger baits, you definitely need the lead to lead the way during the flight, by being significantly heavier then the bait. Horse leading the cart, not the other way round. I use a lot of Imps, or even simple clips, which will occasionally release early if the bait gets too big for the sinker.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agree with the above about bigger baits, you definitely need the lead to lead the way during the flight, by being significantly heavier then the bait. Horse leading the cart, not the other way round. I use a lot of Imps, or even simple clips, which will occasionally release early if the bait gets too big for the sinker.
makes sense that. didn't think about size/weight of bait in relevance to the lead size. thanks for all the reply's.

·
Banned
579 Posts
something not mentioned yet is the shape of bait, keep it nice and straight and stream lined, if not it will wobble in flight and un clip regardless of weight size..... also just accept that its going to happen from time to time, i dont like splashdowns i alway worry they havnt unclipped, seen it and experienced it a fair bit to, just cant win these days

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If your bait is as heavy as your lead I would just use it as a flapper rig, the distance you cast shouldn't be affected that much as trying to cast any real distance using such sized baits must be difficult, clipped or unclipped, difference i would imagine would be with-in a few yards.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have you tried the Tronixpro bait capsule? I find them great for casting large baits. They are basically a sea weight with a tube above, place your bait in the capsule, cast out, on impact the force of the water pushes the bait out. The capsule is streamlined and casts well. You obviously can only use the size of bait which will fit inside the capsule and they are about twice the price of a standard lead

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
i use the impact shields with fairly big baits , not found anything that comes close to them for effectiveness , especially with fixed spool , they are a bit critical in the set up tho , as wingy says more streamlined reduces wobble and spin thats half the battle, tbh if your using 12oz plus casting your in for problems , whole joey ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts