World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads (and lassies) Formby fella here, just joined, I have been reading a lot about lubrication of bait pumps is it OK to use sea water after every so many pumps?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I wash out the barrel of pump every so often so as to not score inside to much and i use cooking oil to lubricate inside of barrel

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
wonder what harm cooking oil and fairy liquid would do to a beach?
you only use a couple of drops of watery washing up liquid , its not as if your putting gallons of the stuff on the beach , and it only needs lubricating about every 50 lug
cuberd

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
Get Real It Is Such A Small Amount Not As Though Im Emptying A 50 Gallon Drum Over The Beach .always 0ne
why use something that may cause damage? far better to take the trouble to find something that is less likely to harm your bait beds, its in your own interest at the end of the day. multiply the amount of washing up liquid you use with the number of people out pumping, it adds up to quite a lot.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
why use something that may cause damage? far better to take the trouble to find something that is less likely to harm your bait beds, its in your own interest at the end of the day. multiply the amount of washing up liquid you use with the number of people out pumping, it adds up to quite a lot.
:blink: Shame people dont worry about the gallons of washing up liquid that they allow to go down their plug holes along with all the detergents that they allow to go into the sewer system from their washing machines where do you think that goes oldchukka?!!!!!! I will answer that one for you --- straight onto our beaches cos the treatment works cannot remove detergents so when you compare that with the teaspoon full you use in your bait pump it is totally insignificant mate.
Strangely enough it is the modern biological detergents that cause the most damage to the eco system!!!!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you look a bit further up the thread i said i use vegtable oil which is a made from natural ingredients !!!!.But everyone as their own choice .

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have personaly used both veg oil and washing up liquid. I have found the latter better for pumping but the veg oil cooks eggs much better. As mentioned very little is needed and id guess the amount you use would do little harm to the enviroment if i had doubts i wouldnt be using it:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts