World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi folks just a quick one for you. Just had first go with new pump, having spent last week looking at you tube and reading the search results on here. Was working near a certain norfolk beach that I know to be full of them so seemed silly not to nip down. put the pump in at angle of about 20 degrees about an inch behind the cast and off I went. Managed to pump up a few that were lovely size but really struggled to get them out so any advice would be great.

More to the point though it seemed that for every worm i did pump, countless others were being battered as probably one out of three pumps brought up part of the worm usually the tail. Now I've read that you are likely to get some damaged worms but is this level of casualties par for the course or is it simply operator error? Would love some opinions because I gotta be honest stopped after a while because it didn't feel right, assuming it's probably my fault as first time, but will dig if that's to be expected every time.

Thanks in advance.

steve:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Did you lube the pump mate, makes it a lot easier. If you were getting tails then you were going to deep in the sand with the pump, its practice, practice and more practice bud, took me a while to get the hang of it, some take longer some master it quite quickly. Best money I spent, saves you a small fortune not having to buy worms. Good luck. :thumbup:

Sent Via my Nokia 3310.

·
Registered
620 Posts
i bought 1 years ago could never get the hang of it, as you said getting either tails or guts
its know gathering dust in the back of the shed, find it easier to dig .
saying that dug 2 pound today and my back is killing me. might have to give it another try ( think im getting old)

steve

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you lube the pump mate, makes it a lot easier. If you were getting tails then you were going to deep in the sand with the pump, its practice, practice and more practice bud, took me a while to get the hang of it, some take longer some master it quite quickly. Best money I spent, saves you a small fortune not having to buy worms. Good luck. :thumbup:

Sent Via my Nokia 3310.

Thanks for the replies. Yeah made sure it was well lubricated and kept doing throughout. Cool glad its just me cos didn't want to persist in decimating the worm population for a hundred if that was what i could expect. So i'm guessing it varies from beach to beach but roughly how deep should i go?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I always start about 3 inches deep mate, if you don't get them go another inch deeper or vice versa, there will be days where they can be an inch or two under the sand (these days are few and far between) try angling the pump at various degrees also, its quite hard to explain in words. Lol.

Sent Via my Nokia 3310.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah appreciate the need for trial and error. That's really helpful thanks as would never have imagined they are that shallow. They never have been when I have had to dig lol. Much appreciated

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Only ever dug blow lug, never tried blacks. Took the kids with me one time, worms were more or less sticking out of the sand. They earnt their pocket money that day picking up worms, lol. Tight lines bud.

Sent Via my Nokia 3310.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
What time did you get on the beach ? A common mistake for new pumpers is thinking they will have a better chance of "cracking it" if they get down early....in my opinion it`s better to pump at the most productive time,when learning,which is usually 30 mins before low water,until the hour or so after. When the worms are casting well,and have moved up in the sand,you will surprise yourself on how many you will get in a relatively short time.
Sometimes pumping lug can be hard work...last week a few of us fished Formby on Merseyside,and though it was`nt the best tide for worms,there was still plenty showing,but very difficult to get.....we`ve all been pumping for many years but sometimes you just struggle and start to question your technique.....you might have had one of those days,but don`t give up coz next time you will fill your bucket.:thumbs:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm at same stage as you scholsey,

Have been a couple of times and got enough for a short session. Lots of tails as well though. Advice you have has helped me too.

Do you know if you can get bait at night, thinking of fishing low water and collecting bait for rest of session, will this work??

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
If anyone else reading this thread has the same experience as the OP then log on to the Scribd website and download a free copy of the 'pumpers bible', it s not the b all and end all ,but a lot of years of graft when into the making of it ! Might just help a wee bit ! You could email me at the addy in my signature but it takes me ages to upload it and email them all back !! If You do download it from Scribd and find it of interest and some help ,then share it with others on here by letting them know, cheers, Mick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi mate i had the same problem, i thought by the look of it the angle i was doing, it would meet the worms burrow.
But i kept blanking or getting tails.
All i did was move the pump away from the hole a inch then 2 inches, but kept the same angle and it actually made a difference.
The suction will burst into and suck out the worm.
you might think you are going to fall short of the hole but you dont.
Sometimes you can see the blow hole sucking in air as you pump so you know you havnt gone passed it..
Thats why it is said its better to pump on the flood to get better suction in the sand when its wet.

this is just my opinion but i have had some cracking sessions

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I'm at same stage as you scholsey,

Have been a couple of times and got enough for a short session. Lots of tails as well though. Advice you have has helped me too.

Do you know if you can get bait at night, thinking of fishing low water and collecting bait for rest of session, will this work??
As long as you`ve got a good headlight....worms cast just the same after dark

·
Registered
294 Posts
Little tip if you find a good pumping location dont tell a soul. I have almost given up pumping because I only know of one area in my area to do it but sadly every single tide that is possible to get the blacks their are the same group of people farming them almost militant style. Because of this it has become severely over farmed and the casts are few and far between.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I noticed in a lot of videos to do with bait pumps, they say to start off with a larger pump as they dont damage the lug as much, so what is the benfit of using a smaller bore pump when you now what your doing?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts