World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just spent 4 days staying in Milborne St Andrew so we took the spinning gear out a couple of times. The first session was close-ish to Swanage and at water level. The wind was a lot stronger when we got to the coast and the sea state a bit choppier and churned up than we wanted for spinning. We were quickly freezing our nuts off as it had been lovely and warm back at the cottage. Jigging wasn't working for us close in so we began to cast out and I hooked a pollock of around 1.5lb-2lb (no scales). As it was low tide I climbed down to a lower ledge exposed by the tide and found two six ounce grip leads that seemed in mint condition but, with no line attached which was curious and that they were 20 yards apart. I kicked a few limpets off rocks and made a bait rig up with a 2oz lead and my brother cast it out into snag central, he had a ballan and so did I shortly after. Light was fading in the sky and despite it getting toward peak time for pollock we packed up with a fairly decent walk ahead of us and a roast dinner waiting back at the cottage. So 3 fish wasn't exactly setting the world alight but, we should have been happy catching and gaining gear rather than losing it.

Saturday we nipped out again for a few hours in the sunshine, this time picking a spot completely blocked out by the wind but, a lot higher than the water level. We grabbed a little ragworm and a pack of very expensive sandeels from the local shop as bait. I cast out with the Surf Machine and a double sandeel bait on 3/0's a few times in hope of a daylight ray, only crabs found that bait though. My brother was busy pulling corkwings out left right and centre close in, while I switched the pulley rig for just a plain lead which I cast and slid out a size 6 hook under a bubble float and a slither of sandeel for gars. All quiet and a little bored as we packed down I put some coloured feathers on and cast out retrieving as slowly as I could without snagging and second chuck I had a pollock which hit hard and weighed around 1.5-2lb. Mike had a go at it too and also had one within two chucks of a slightly bigger size around 2lb or so. We again packed up before peak time knowing we had spaghetti bolognese waiting for us at 8pm and we had a bit of a hike ahead of us.

It was actually pretty great to fish with my brother for once and also not to be lugging gear on long-ish walks uphill and down dale.

w2.jpg
w33.jpg
w4-2.jpg
w1.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another pal (Nick) was out on Chesil beach at the weekend(I wasn't with him) he sent me some absolutely fabulous pics of a 12lb odd undulate he had, I thought I'd share with you guys:

N4.jpg
N2.jpg
N3.jpg
N1.jpg

The photo of the eye is probably the most striking undulate ray pic I have seen.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I have just spent 4 days staying in Milborne St Andrew so we took the spinning gear out a couple of times. The first session was close-ish to Swanage and at water level. The wind was a lot stronger when we got to the coast and the sea state a bit choppier and churned up than we wanted for spinning. We were quickly freezing our nuts off as it had been lovely and warm back at the cottage. Jigging wasn't working for us close in so we began to cast out and I hooked a pollock of around 1.5lb-2lb (no scales). As it was low tide I climbed down to a lower ledge exposed by the tide and found two six ounce grip leads that seemed in mint condition but, with no line attached which was curious and that they were 20 yards apart. I kicked a few limpets off rocks and made a bait rig up with a 2oz lead and my brother cast it out into snag central, he had a ballan and so did I shortly after. Light was fading in the sky and despite it getting toward peak time for pollock we packed up with a fairly decent walk ahead of us and a roast dinner waiting back at the cottage. So 3 fish wasn't exactly setting the world alight but, we should have been happy catching and gaining gear rather than losing it.

Saturday we nipped out again for a few hours in the sunshine, this time picking a spot completely blocked out by the wind but, a lot higher than the water level. We grabbed a little ragworm and a pack of very expensive sandeels from the local shop as bait. I cast out with the Surf Machine and a double sandeel bait on 3/0's a few times in hope of a daylight ray, only crabs found that bait though. My brother was busy pulling corkwings out left right and centre close in, while I switched the pulley rig for just a plain lead which I cast and slid out a size 6 hook under a bubble float and a slither of sandeel for gars. All quiet and a little bored as we packed down I put some coloured feathers on and cast out retrieving as slowly as I could without snagging and second chuck I had a pollock which hit hard and weighed around 1.5-2lb. Mike had a go at it too and also had one within two chucks of a slightly bigger size around 2lb or so. We again packed up before peak time knowing we had spaghetti bolognese waiting for us at 8pm and we had a bit of a hike ahead of us.

It was actually pretty great to fish with my brother for once and also not to be lugging gear on long-ish walks uphill and down dale.

View attachment 786929 View attachment 786937 View attachment 786945 View attachment 786953

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another pal (Nick) was out on Chesil beach at the weekend(I wasn't with him) he sent me some absolutely fabulous pics of a 12lb odd undulate he had, I thought I'd share with you guys:

View attachment 786961 View attachment 786969 View attachment 786977 View attachment 786985
The photo of the eye is probably the most striking undulate ray pic I have seen.
Great report as always, keep them coming they are like be there when you read some of them.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Great read as always well done .

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I do love pollack, just wish I could catch the things... Ben laughed when I got excited about his 2lber last year. Can't wait to target them in Ireland

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Fantastic report as always and also liking the fishing time being ruled by meal times. Sounds like a fantastic weekend.

Your mates pictures of the ray are amazing

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
Lovely pics as always Chris, hoping for Pollock from the I0W in July.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts