World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there .
We come across odd looking fish and if you are a begginner it makes you think a bit.
When you are a beginner and you catch a fish which looks ugly:blink: you may think its poisonous.There is only one species of fish in the uk which is poisonous and that is a Weever,fortunatly i have not caught one for years,3 dorsal spines with venom,fish is small and may just be under the surface of the swet sand somtimes waiting for little feet to come in contact ,very painfull.
Wound should need imediate attention,plunging the area in water as hot as you can stand will help to ease the pain until medical help comes .
Has anyone got a pic ?

Well on we go,ill look through my pics and see what i have

Ist species is a Tadpolefish,not very common find it when fishing for minis like I do .
Black with a tapering body,white mouth,large gapeing mouth,likes bits of squid/rag .Grows to a max of around 1lb 5 oz ish.Ive had about 7 or so with the biggest around that size

The fish below is a 3 bearded Rockling,can be found in the same habitat as the tadpole fish,lovely pinky colour,smooth,big mouth and a large
appetite

lets see your fishies cheers brand

Reactions: 68fishy

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
What do they taste like?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I LRF alot and would love too catch a tadpole fish, what terain do they inhabit, what baits best? small hook size ? could they be caught on artificial like power isome? welldone on the catch by the way...

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Caught my Tadpole fish a good few years ago over rough ground using lugworm. I think it was around April time on the flooding tide and I don't see why you cant get them on artificials but they are not that common around here anyway.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Caught my Tadpole fish a good few years ago over rough ground using lugworm. I think it was around April time on the flooding tide and I don't see why you cant get them on artificials but they are not that common around here anyway.
thanks, may be a catch it by accident then when fishing for other mini species....

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do they taste like?
Dont know what they taste like,dont think id want to eat it,bit soft you like to see thyem swim away ...keep fishing m8

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I LRF alot and would love too catch a tadpole fish, what terain do they inhabit, what baits best? small hook size ? could they be caught on artificial like power isome? welldone on the catch by the way...
You find them basically as a solitry fish amongst weedy rocks,b/waters down the side .light gear spinning rod,ounce lead,size 10 or 8 with mini squid or rag ,not sure about artificial stuff ,could try ...let me know ...good luck.I drop down holes in a b/water there are so many fish under your feet

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, may be a catch it by accident then when fishing for other mini species....
I usuall catch mine when fishing for other small species ...shannys,gobys little wrasse etc

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A couple more fishys,

A colorfull wrasse taken in Cornwall prob a ballen but in what stage of growth dont know .could be female/or imature not sure

The spiny looking one is a Dragonet,,tiny fish harmless but watch the spines of the dorsal,

Attachments

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Pretty sure this is a Long Spined Bullhead but want to check...

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pretty sure this is a Long Spined Bullhead but want to check...

Looks like a scorpion,just watch the bony head it has sharp spines,wont hurt otherwise ,nice one:clap2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bullhead caught off Scarborough Harbour saturday.
Doing it's best to keep it's weight up, it had another, slightly digested 5" fish hanging round in it's mouth making it difficult to get to the hook.
CAM00359.jpg
My lad had a couple of butterfish, in a pot at the bottom of the wall
CAM00355.jpg

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here we have another tadpole/forkbeard.Caught this on a piece of sandeel ,they have a likeing for a fishy type of bait .This one is around 310 mm long ...or a foot

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
looks like a common blenny to me buddy . gotta watch yourself with them little buggers , had more than a few hanging of the end of my finger !!! the give a decent little nip given half a chance . G

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
Found good identification pages on the britishseafishing.co.uk n thought them useful for ID'ing fish. There are loads of pics on there and good explanations... go to the page underneath and click on "round fish", "Flatfish" etc. for links

Identifying UK Sea Fish | Britishseafishing.co.uk

Attachments

1 - 20 of 226 Posts