World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys thread all the worms onto the bottom hook or do you stick 3 or 4 heads nipped through the top and same with the bottoms then tie with elastic?

I find the hooks are too far apart if I'm putting several worms on?

CheerS

G

·
depends on the size of the worm matey,if im using big blacks i'll thread one on the main hook then
hook the pennel through as normal,then head hook 2 or 3 more on the pennel,lay them alongside the main hook and then whip em all together.
if im using smaller blow i'll use a bait stop and ram a load on to the stop then hook the pennel through.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you want a big bait I tend to lay three or four worms together then bind with elastic to form a "sausage" then feed up the hook and secure with tip pennel hook.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Don't use your baiting needle in conventional way. Lay three blacks across your left hand ,lay baiting needle across your left hand , Lay your pennel hooks and snood line across your left hand making sure the distance between the hooks measures the same or slightly less than the length of the worms . You then lash the lot around with elastic cotton all the way up from bottom to over the top hook and up the shank to the end of the worms. The worms will take a kind of spiral shape . You then hold the line with one hand and pull out the needle with the other. Perfect lug sausage with both hook bends and points exposed .
:fish::fish::fishing: P.S In case your wondering , the top hook stops any slippage .

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
Bend yourself one of these baiting needles , I made this out of 2.5mm stainless tig rod
I thread one worm onto the needle , then holding the needle vertical ,(hook at the bottom) and holding the other worms against it , whip them all together , then just slid your other hook down to hook in the top of the worm sausage
The little bit of rubber on the end is just to keep the hook snood line tight , but you don’t need it ,

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Just thread a load on the snood then bunch them up and stick the pennel through the top, no need for elastic that way

·
Registered
175 Posts
You can just bunch them up but i think they last better if you bind them then feed on the hook with a baiting needle or just feed straight on as there's less scent loss from puncture holes and squashing etc!

Not saying your way is less valid mate its just somthing I've been playing with for a while and they both work even if mine means more messing with bait elastic!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Last better? I always rebait every 15 mins in the winter, as they get washed out and lose their scent, they are punctured as I'm not a bait needle user and a hook through it's entire body length is a good puncture in my eyes,lol

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
You can just bunch them up but i think they last better if you bind them then feed on the hook with a baiting needle or just feed straight on as there's less scent loss from puncture holes and squashing etc!

Not saying your way is less valid mate its just somthing I've been playing with for a while and they both work even if mine means more messing with bait elastic!
every one has their own methods which they prefer but surely you want the scent to escape?? isnt this what draws the attention of scent hunting fish and encourages them to take the bait the scent is coming from?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Most fish are caught more in coloured water or in the dark, so the scent is more impotant than the look, thats why leaving baits out there too long is wasting your time, I've seen guys leaving lines out for over 1/2 hour in the winter, they reel in and bung it out again as they think oh there's bait left on the hook :wallbash: take it off and put some fresh back on, you will deffo catch more fish this way

·
Registered
175 Posts
Exactly why I said both methods are valid!

But I think you'll find a thicker bait with one entrance and exit will not wash out as quick as bunching them. Not everyone gets them straight on the hook in one good with the cold of winter.

Scent is what gets them to the bait with colour water at night and i agree with needing to change the bait more regularly.

Was only sharing my opinion!

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I have used Lug for over 35 years and never yet have I used elastic to bind then on, it's too much messing about specially when it's freezing cold in the middle of winter, a good sized bunch of Lug regularly re-baited will catch more fish, I'd rather keep chucking out to keep warm than re-bait every 1/2 - 1 hour like some guys I've seen on the beaches, the scent has to escape fairly fast as the fish would not find it, slow release of bait scent is not as good as a big whiff

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes , i agree with you Meanstreak ,i find it far better and more productive,and it keep you moving in the winter to stay warm as you say.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Reeling in the fish in Winter is the best bit,lol, that's if we don't get a bad one and it's so cold the fish don't come in

·
Registered
941 Posts
hi simon , obviously everyone has there own methods and oppinions so heres mine.
fresh/frozen black.....i do love a lug sausage, 2 or 3 elasticated together and thread on the hook with a needle.
rag and blow lug....... i like a size 2 green mustard crab hook as the top hook,i also tie it in position. the bottom hook i use a mustard green cod hook, when you tie this on with a blood knot ,pass the tail of the line back up thru the top of the knot so it sticks out and up. trim the line leaving a 1/4" tag pointing out of the top of the knot.
when putting on your worms... slide 2/3 worms onto a bait needle and onto your hook. the first worm slide up to your pennel and head hook it, the 2nd worm slide up the hook and over the tag to stop it sliding down, the 3rd worm thread up the hook with the head over the tag to stop it sliding down..... works for me and as already said change bait every 15-20 mins.... steve

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Exactly why I said both methods are valid!

But I think you'll find a thicker bait with one entrance and exit will not wash out as quick as bunching them. Not everyone gets them straight on the hook in one good with the cold of winter.

Scent is what gets them to the bait with colour water at night and i agree with needing to change the bait more regularly.

Was only sharing my opinion!
No worries, everyones opinion is equally valid on here. I did better last year on the worms that I broke while digging than I did on the whole clean worms. I just keep threading the bits up the line until there is enough for a nice size bait (imho), usually about six to nine inches when compressed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Went for a trip out with a mate last minute a couple of years back and the fishing was great but we had no bait left so a put on a bunch of used discard worm and caught a 7lb cod on it!

As long as the fish are there just get a bait out to them and your sorted!

It's good to have people who like different things as it makes you think about what you do and try new things!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts