World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This may be a bit controversial but I always thought it would be nice to easily see how my local beaches are fishing without necessarily having to post a question on the forum or trawl through pages of catch reports.

As a result I decided to go through a couple of pages of this forum and try to detail the catch reports on a map (it was a very quiet morning at work).

The result can be seen here:

http://goo.gl/maps/gLL3W

Obviously it's pretty basic at the moment but as time goes on I imagine this could become a useful tool for me and hopefully others too when planning a trip out.

I'm happy to spend an hour or two updating this every week but only if people are actually going to use it, therefore I'm posting this here to get an idea of how interested people are.

Please let me know your thoughts and/or objections.

G

·
welcome mate , its clever but i aint sure about it , people post asking and we advise if we know or can help thats how i like it but ur idea could b used as a general guide for beginners at least .

·
Registered
122 Posts
very good idea mate, i had thoughts a little while ago about trying to do something similar as a smart phone app but was not sure how much support i would get from other anglers, i think seeing how precious some of the guys on here that fish chesil got on a thread lately reminds me why i didnt take it any further then just an idea. well done for giving it a go tho.
daz

·
Registered
409 Posts
great idea go for it:clap3:

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello

This may be a bit controversial but I always thought it would be nice to easily see how my local beaches are fishing without necessarily having to post a question on the forum or trawl through pages of catch reports.

As a result I decided to go through a couple of pages of this forum and try to detail the catch reports on a map (it was a very quiet morning at work).

The result can be seen here:

http://goo.gl/maps/gLL3W

Obviously it's pretty basic at the moment but as time goes on I imagine this could become a useful tool for me and hopefully others too when planning a trip out.

I'm happy to spend an hour or two updating this every week but only if people are actually going to use it, therefore I'm posting this here to get an idea of how interested people are.

Please let me know your thoughts and/or objections.
Walked into comets yesterday, they now do a camera with gps on with an app for google, so every photo taken..by yourself will be mapped with lats and longs, not quite the same thing but if integrated onto a fishing forum could prove devastating to someones quiet little secret spot..lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
very good idea mate, i had thoughts a little while ago about trying to do something similar as a smart phone app but was not sure how much support i would get from other anglers, i think seeing how precious some of the guys on here that fish chesil got on a thread lately reminds me why i didnt take it any further then just an idea. well done for giving it a go tho.
daz
I was concerned that people might not like the idea so I've been careful to keep the locations general and base it solely on posts in this forum where people have willingly shared that information already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I'll give it a couple of days to make sure nobody has any major objections then set about improving it.

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions on improvements or things they'd like included then let me know.

Also I think it would be nice if this was a bit of a community project. If anyone is interested in contributing (without obligation) then drop me a PM. You'll need a Google account.

·
Premium Member
25,695 Posts
The idea is sound I guess but actually I much prefer reading catch reports than looking up a spread sheet. The fish caught don't bother me too much, but a well written catch report (Look up some of Kennedy's) does get the old piscatorial juices flowing.

As I say sound idea but to me a catch report Isnt just about the catch...

Disclaimer- I do not produce well written informative and atmospheric catch reports.....I just admire those that do :notworthy

·
Registered
257 Posts
Walked into comets yesterday, they now do a camera with gps on with an app for google, so every photo taken..by yourself will be mapped with lats and longs, not quite the same thing but if integrated onto a fishing forum could prove devastating to someones quiet little secret spot..lol
But won't some then complain that they went there,to the very spot, didnt catch it and that "its your fault" ?, Maybe even seek compensation.... Better add a " caught and returned " symbol !

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Great idea mate!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.