World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had both weekend boat trips blown off, needed to get out and see the sea - that or cleaning the house.....!

With the river in full flood, problem No1 was getting out of the village via my usual route. With the winds from the SW, decided to try Pwll Du again. It faces south but on the western side the finger of rock acts like a breakwater I thought.

As usual, no one there and a good surf coming in - but the west side was easily fishable with the wind on your back. I traipsed round to Ring Rock where there's deep water even on these neaps.

Very pleasant down there as ever. Tried sandeel on the float for a while but I think the water was just too murky for this tactic - it was murky like Goldcliff down there to be honest.

So switched to ledgering sandeels and straight away the blank was saved by a small conger.

And that was it. Not as good as the planned double treat of exquisite offshore fishing but lovely to be down the Gower in mid August with only one other family enjoying exclusivity on the beach.

I've never done very well at this venue - although this is only my third trip but I'll stick with it as I hear it can offer really good fishing on its day. Also good today to be there without hundreds of boats pointlessly whizzing round the bay at full throttle for no apparent reason. I'll be back soon and the exercise of the long walk there and back means I now deserve my big Sunday roast!

DH

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
bad luck on not having more fishies, ian. but who really cares with scenery like that! great pics.

·
Registered
386 Posts
lovely pics mate. which way did you walk? I know the way from Pennard clifftop car park but it appears from the pics that you came from the opposite direction?

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,642 Posts
Nice Fishing There Mate - Well Done!
The Fish Is A Green/common Eel Though Mate...
Tight Lines,
Sam_lougher.

·
Registered
55 Posts
great pictures - although its unlikely we will get any good weather settling for more than a week, if we do its worth trying plugging off the point or spinning. I had some good pollock down there 2 years ago. Got to be careful off the point though. specially on the big tides.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Nice photo's. The best place I've found down there, looks the right conditions for the place too, is in the first photo on the bottom left hand corner. Sling your crab out around 60 - 70 yards, medium hight tide for the first 2 hours of the flood with a nice swell running.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
great report there,afraid to say that looks like a freshwater eel to me as well...........beats a blank though:thumbs:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all - of course, an eel! While since I've had one.

I think the finger of rock is called The Needles. Definitely going to go back soon. I walk down from Bishopston Post Office - fairly straight forward and 45 minutes each way.

Cheers

DH

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well done for getting out Dai rather than like some us who spent the weekend at home sulking:schmoll::schmoll:
Looking at your pics I now regret not getting my shore gear out and wetting a line. ..... u r an example to us all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts