World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having caught our fair share of codling from the mersey up to now this season,we thought a change of venue would be a nice change,so last night headed for pwllfanogl..this place always threw up a few good codling at this time of year when i was a lad(many moons ago)...alas it was not to be..dogfish city im affraid..tried live lug,lug/squid wraps and frozen crab.. they took the lot with equal enthusiasm ! spoke to two lads fishing the jetty as we were leaving and up to then they had blanked..we were treated though to a spectacular firework display to our left and an equally spectacular lightening show to our right..will be sticking to the mersey for the rest of this winter me thinks..good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
299 Posts
having caught our fair share of codling from the mersey up to now this season,we thought a change of venue would be a nice change,so last night headed for pwllfanogl..this place always threw up a few good codling at this time of year when i was a lad(many moons ago)...alas it was not to be..dogfish city im affraid..tried live lug,lug/squid wraps and frozen crab.. they took the lot with equal enthusiasm ! spoke to two lads fishing the jetty as we were leaving and up to then they had blanked..we were treated though to a spectacular firework display to our left and an equally spectacular lightening show to our right..will be sticking to the mersey for the rest of this winter me thinks..good luck :thumbs:
not a surprize !:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Interesting thoughts. I seem to remember that the codling tended to move West towards the Irish Sea round about the middle/end of November ..... ??? Thus we'd have some good (???) 2-3lb cod beginning off Menai Bridge pier then a few weeks later through the Swellies and into the Pwllfanagol area covering the November period. That was some years ago also (many moons) but more recently Cod have been in short supply really in the Straits, i.e. this 'dependable' glut of cod has really disapeared.
We'd still have the occasional/rare Rock or red cod in the kelpy areas (up to 5lb) but I rarely hear of those now.
'Stick to the Mersey' seems like good advice!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi swelleyman, used to be the case that the week leading up to "fair borth" the straits started to fill up with codling around the one to three pound stamp and it was fill your boots time up to around mid december..and as you say the red cod or cod coch were ever present especialy in the swellies stretch..but how times have changed..giving the mersey a bash tonight :wheelchai

1 - 4 of 4 Posts