World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The quest continues…

After setting my alarm for 0600, I awoke at 0700 to find it had been going off for an hour on mute…

nightmare morning, faff with getting up later than planned, then the car keyless entry decided it didn’t want to play meant I didn’t get away until after 0800, finally getting to Gimblet and fishing for around 0930.

3 rods, carp rod used in the 10-50 yd range with a 2-up 1-down rig with size 8 hooks. 1 conti rod fished at 30-80 yds with a 2-up 1-down flapper and size 4 hooks, 2nd conti with a portsmouth loop rig, size 2 hooks and fished at 100-150yds (the wonders of ultra braid!). Baits were frozen black lug, rag and frozen mackerel.

Slow is the key take home. 1 dog and half a dozen tiny black bream, with knocks on the carp rod indicative that there were a lot about, I had them down to about 2 inches. Bait generally stripped within 10 mins.

Just as I was thinking about packing up around 1330 I had my first bite on my long range rod, which I missed, but this encouraged me to stick around. Almost immediately on recasting I had another succession of strong bites. Reeled in this BeAuTY…

Organism Marine invertebrates Fish Seafood Ray-finned fish

packed up around 1400. Headed to Amlwch, but the breakwater was full, tried fishing the corner by the steps until 1700, but only small wrasse.

I know I wanted to target mullet this year, I s’pose I’ve now just about done that…

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: John Mason

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Might give it a go myself. Got a trip up that way soon and was thinking about where to try on the way back. Another species you get there at this time of year is scad. If you are fishing popups and getting mackerel, after dark the scad seem to take over. Was guiding there one evening and both the client and I had loads of them.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
67,219 Posts
Wonderful stuff 👍🏻

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might give it a go myself. Got a trip up that way soon and was thinking about where to try on the way back. Another species you get there at this time of year is scad. If you are fishing popups and getting mackerel, after dark the scad seem to take over. Was guiding there one evening and both the client and I had loads of them.
Interesting, only ever had them from a boat around here. Got mine from Holyhead deeps this year.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Interesting, only ever had them from a boat around here. Got mine from Holyhead deeps this year.
Yes I was surprised. It was a few years ago now but rounded off a memorable day out. I've not replicated the experience but have not tried that hard either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts