World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Mwnt this evening and I'm wondering if mackeral are caught at dusk ?

I'll be fishing off the rocks into deep water.

ragards

Bob

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

I am going to throw a spanner in the works here by saying that in my experience Dusk is the worst time to catch Mackerel.

Whilst on holiday I beachcast every morning from sun up, and in evening from 1930 onwards. I have found that whilst I catch in the morning, my evening sessions. are pretty unproductive. Likewise when I am charter fishing in the evening the same applies, I seldom catch Mackerel after about 1930 hrs.

When the occasion arises and I have to leave on a charter before dawn we never start our bait fishing for Mackerel before sun up.

I am interested in other replies.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Bobcat said:
Oh, cracking news. Thanks for the reply. I'm quietly hoping for a conga too ;)
Hi Bobcat,

Africa is the best place for that!!!!!

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Drew, thanks for the information, i'll see what happens tonight..I'll be taking some crab and eal tonight aswell so i can hedge my bets. :cool:

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Drew

I think you mean Congo. :D

Filled a carrier bag full of mackerel in Llangennith last year. That was at dusk. Depends where you are I suppose.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Rob,

That is what I like about the Forum, someone else has another opinion. I'm waiting for the big guns to arrive, i.e. the beachcasters, they will no doubt have their opinions.

This is the making of a good thread.

Cheers

Drew

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Drew

Sorry to leave at a critical moment. Had to go and get the kids from school.

I agree, this is what the forums are all about. Sharing info and experiences so that we all end up better anglers. So come on people - lets have a "Heated Debate". :D

Cheers Drew

Rob

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I'm interested in this line dancing fishing spectacle mentioned earlier. I presume that the line of anglers 'sasheying' along the tideline is meant to attract the Mackeral as dusk falls. (see thread concerning sound attracting fish and fish grunting, on this site above) They are curious fish (well as curious as any fish I suppose!) and must be attracted by the rhythmic, though muffled, sounds emanting from the chorus of wellie boots doing the Conga. Must sound a little like the wellie dancing from Soweto in South Africa. Do other dances/songs produce other catches. Someone thought of using 'Sole music' for flatties, for example!

I don't know if its better catching at dusk 'cos me mam won't let me stay out that late - you never know who might be about carousing and dancing.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

I see that wer'e off Fred Again.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hiya all,

I thought i'd post my results since i started this topic of dusk!

I went to the north coast and used 3 rods, crab, worm, mackeral , feathers, eal and i didnt catch a thing!!
Water was a bit wild tonight but it wasnt a big deal for the angler. Weight's moved well and covered areas well--humph No Fish.

Think I missed one run on my 12ft spinner with eal.

tight lines.

regards

Bobcat. :cool:

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I agree, it's very annoying when the bait's good, the casting's good and the bl***y fish are elsewhere! Where were they?

Off at a coastal gig with 'Fred Drew and the Bobcats' of course, (reeling and a rockling the night away no doubt!) Supported by Abu and the Multiplyers (an Indian multi-band) and of course singing sensation, Shimano (formerly the Welsh band Shimae?) as well as A.Cod and the Grunts (have you all read the posting about fish grunts - best laugh i've had for years!)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
The Soweto Gumboot (welly) dancing involves a lot of slapping of the wellies and stomping which, while rhythmic is no way to attract any sort of easily spooked fish - or indeed any that have any musical appreciation whatsoever

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Gumbwt-M'butty, a Sulw musician, was down our neck of the woods last year (Fisher-Folk Festival) and told us that the dance started as a way of increasing the take of hi-protein food. It seems the secret lies in the slapping rather than the more rhythmic Bass-line (using circle hooks, it seems) Accordion to him each different size of Welly produces a slightly different pitch (nasty stuff tar) but that they had discovered that turning the tops down altered it still further. So this explains why they have so many involved, it's like an orchestra C (and lots of other keys!)

The easily spooked were discouraged as modern-day South Afreeka has need for fewer (Spooks that is) it seems. In a spirit of nationhood and Co-op eration (not Tescos) Allsorts turned up, to turn down (their wellies C) until the splashing caused the depth of water to become too shallow for the fish and they were easy to pick up. Columns of dancers built up to consume them, a sort of Barb-be-queue!

(Sorry, i'll have to stop now as even I am confused and must lie down in a dark Plaice - lost me spots - sort of Floundering)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Swelley - if I could get my head aruond your posts I'd probably crawl to Terry f and plead for help. But please don't stop because I'm going to get there eventually. ;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts