World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought any pucka glasses off fleabay (maui jims,serengetti,etc), as they seem suprisingly affordable.
I'm getting a decent pair so i can see for myself if all the hype is true.
Does anyone know of any sites i can look at. Cheers guys. :cool:

G

·
Have a read of THIS thread. There is a lot of discussion about various makes of sunglasses and the Maui Jims seem to come out on top. I have a pair of MJ Sports and have been very impressed with them

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone bought any pucka glasses off fleabay (maui jims,serengetti,etc), as they seem suprisingly affordable.
With fleabay you have to watch the forgery, lots of copys out there!! even been told they copying braid (pro power) if it seems to good, you could get stung. :sad2:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I'll go with what Diceman said, you have to be really careful with regards fakes, they are all over fleabay.

I just bought some Maui Jims from a shop in the UK and the price was more or less the same as the ones on that auction site too

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I dont know what you guys pay in the UK but they are about £85 over here, thats for the sports ones. It helps that I know the manager of the opticians and get them for £66 too!!! Worth the full price in my opinion and have saved my boat a few times from rocks that seem to move and charge towards me.

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
60,889 Posts
I dont know what you guys pay in the UK but they are about £85 over here, thats for the sports ones. It helps that I know the manager of the opticians and get them for £66 too!!! Worth the full price in my opinion and have saved my boat a few times from rocks that seem to move and charge towards me.
There about £99 over here but still worth it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There is a similarity here between glasses and fishing rods.

Plenty of decent spinning rods out there that do not cost much at all, but then there is something like the Tenryu - pick it up, use it, and you'll buy it. No going back..............

Plenty of decent polarised sunglasses out there, but try on a pair of Maui Jim's and you will be blown away, especially with the HCL Bronze lenses that I tend to use for virtually every kind of fishing/photography work I do anywhere in the world. Once you have used proper polarised sunglasses, there is no going back...........

·
60,889 Posts
There is a similarity here between glasses and fishing rods.

Plenty of decent spinning rods out there that do not cost much at all, but then there is something like the Tenryu - pick it up, use it, and you'll buy it. No going back..............

Plenty of decent polarised sunglasses out there, but try on a pair of Maui Jim's and you will be blown away, especially with the HCL Bronze lenses that I tend to use for virtually every kind of fishing/photography work I do anywhere in the world. Once you have used proper polarised sunglasses, there is no going back...........
Well said,and as I have said before like most things in life you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've just been a given a very smal and basic presciption for needing glasses, the opticians are a dealer for Maui Jims, basic gallses were £95 but with my light single vision prescription they worked out to be £280 !!!
Well impressed with the glasses but cant afford to risk them for fishing...

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
How much are your eyes worth? And sun glasses are not only for protecting against sun rays and seeing fish and rocks, they are eye protection too. This is nasty, found it somewhere else on the forum a few months ago and I use it when selling sun glasses to peeps in my shop, man I am a mean bugger sometimes, but safty first!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Couldn't agree more - I photograph a lot of fly fishing, and they all wear sunglasses, both for protection and for seeing fish etc. It simply ain't worth not wearing them............

When I am photographing fly fishing especially, I have to take my glasses off, but I make sure to stand in the right places and keep a very close eye on what is going on. And I tend to avoid getting too close to people who are not very good at fly casting - that would be somebody like me !!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Dear god, that photo! B*gger sunglasses, I am now going to start wearing a full face helmet!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Dear god, that photo! B*gger sunglasses, I am now going to start wearing a full face helmet!
To be honest, a high velocity clouser could shatter glass lenses and probably crack polycarbonate.

A friend of mine wears shatter-proof shooting glasses, even in low light situations where sunglasses aren't needed.

You can get similar glasses with clear lenses which would fit over a pair of polarised shades, but I think that the B&Q builder's goggles that I've also seen one angler wearing are taking things a bit far.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Mick that photo sent me cold
i have been looking for a decent pair for a while now the polaroid web site has some that look good and at a fair price has anyone had any experiance of them is a polaroid lense any better or worse than a polarised one
confused dai

·
Registered
272 Posts
MJ's are great but if you do a bit of salmon/trout fishing as well - Costa Del Mar with the vermillion lens are better

·
60,889 Posts
Mick thats a pretty gruesome pic,just having my breakfast yum yum.

Seriously though,it just shows how carefull we must all be.

Nick.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i want to learn how to fly fish but

i have now changed my mind :yucky:

·
60,889 Posts
Yeh,put me off my breakfast when I saw that pic.

Nick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts