World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there was a recent post regarding fishing in the harbour but it has gone already. Could anyone help me with times to fish (ie tide states) bait etc. Seem to recall a number of species being caught here. I would like to increase my species list and want a safe place for my son to fish.

Any help would be appreciated. Might go down on Saturday.
Thanks in advance
Blenny

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Blenny,

Click on "search" type in Queensferry, and all threads refering to Queensferry will be listed. If you then scroll down Queensferry will be highlighted in red.

Hooe this helps.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Drew

Got the species info but if anyone knows when to fish this mark and baits it would be appreciated. I've got crab and mackerel / lures and feathers.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Blenny said:
Cheers Drew

Got the species info but if anyone knows when to fish this mark and baits it would be appreciated. I've got crab and mackerel / lures and feathers.

Cheers

I think Aldo is the man to talk to, he's posted a thread about this. as far as I can remember you fish it from low water up.

·
Registered
408 Posts
We never caught much from the harbour but always found it much more productive to walk round past hound point and fish the beach for flounder. Fished from low tide to an hour or so before high tide, the fish were often just a rod length out and bags of five or six fish each was the average catch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
alright blenny. fish a couple of hours after low water. bast bait in summer is peeler, rag's not bad. never really tried lug or mackerel. ground has changed over the years. lot more kelp now. use smallish hooks, size 1 or 2, and don't cast too far. you won't get any monsters, but if you have crab you should get plenty of bites. small coalies, blennies, rockling. maybe flounder from the muddier bits. last time i went my son had 2 small bass, so you never know. let me know how you get on. baz.

·
Registered
44 Posts
yo Peeps, just finished a double shift in this rather warm weather, off fo 3 days now until i start a week of nightshifts :-(

Blenny, ive fished the harbour at SQF over a few seasons and usually find a rising tide mid morning to be the best.Baits are the usual lug,rag,squid,mussels....whatever ya lay ya hands on.

Fish caught havent been too big but are wide in variety, Cod,ling,coalies,pollack,flounder,bass.also witnessed some dogfish(species unknown) smashing into shoals of wee fishes near the surface so i guess its worth spinning gear too.

Hope this helps...... i will be there or thereabouts over the next few days....
see ya.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers for the info people. Got to SQF on Sat but the slip was closed (due to a ruddy great cruiseliner in the Forth). Security was heavy (understandable).

The harbour was unfishable (due to no water) :eek: so we rummaged around in the rockpools for a while. Caught :eek: two butterfish, a handful of blennies and some small crabs. Kept the wee one amused for a while. Eventually fished for a while but nothing more than a few bites. The hooks might have been a little big for blennies! I think we might have had more success if we had kept at it for a couple more hours. It was very bright and we did see shoals of small fish/sandeels right along the harbour wall. Thought that might get something biting.

Will try past hound point next time. Fish Force - did you fish hard to the bottom for the flounder? Baz67 - what rig were you using? We floatfished (quite deep though)

Cheers all and tight lines.

·
Registered
52 Posts
alright blenny, everyone round here fishes on the bottom. 2 hook rig with the bottom hook below the lead. some beads if you like. almost all the fish are caught on the bottom hook. always going to try a float rig but never have. i'll give it a go this year. let me know next time you're coming and i'll try to come down. cheers. baz.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good to me. Will try fishing on the bottom next time. Is it rough ground around the harbour? Would a rotton bottom be a good idea? Quite like the idea of going past the point for flounder - have yet to catch any flatties.

Will post next time i'm heading your way!
Cheers
Blenny

PS Off to Dorset next week - if anyone knows anything about Lyme Regis and particular marks it would be appreciated. Might try some dawn spinning for bass! ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts