World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
Ive been fishing a known bass reef with live mackies but only seem to be getting pollack(mostly doubles albeit!) on them when i freeline or fish with just a small ball lead. After a few pollack (although fantastic sport) I usually resort to putting the float out with a mackie on and have managed to catch a few bass this way but nothing over 5lb, mainly 2-3lbers.
I've been told more than once that the bigger bass are lurking down around the bottom in amongst the boulders and the like but no joy as yet. I have fished a few sessions there now and confidence isnt that high doing this method
Would you stay fishing deeper and hope one day it comes good or just focus on the floats fishing shallower for the smaller ones?

Advice very welcomed:)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
If the floats are producing Bass then I would stick to that method, it more likely that the times you happen to have fished is when the smaller bass are on the reef. Try a different state of tide and see what happens. The smaller ones maybe resident fish, whereas the bigger fish might only visit on feeding patterns.

Steve

·
Registered
239 Posts
Pretty sure that if there was larger bass there then they would take the mackeral as well
it maybe the case that there is none there ....
why not try the float but set it deeper, you may lose some gear but with this style of fishing you have to be innit to get amongst them

Most people would be happy with what your getting and your obviously doing lots right to get the fish that your getting

Sherbert

·
Registered
611 Posts
We are experiencing the same on our local reef at the moment. I'm sure the bigger ones are there but no luck this year yet. We always use floats with mackeral set just off the bottom (only free-line eels). Using larger mackeral would probably put the pollack off. We only catch pollack when using eels. I reckon 5lb+ bass must be round the corner just going to have to persevere with it. Good luck with it mate.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, i will def try your tips.
Its not that im unappreciative of the fish i am getting(far from it) i just am wondering if refining my style may be more productive for the larger bass. I will persevere for sure:)
Im just wishing now to get out there at all what with all these howling winds!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
fish bigger tides. I suspect the reality is that there are no big bass left and the pollack have moved in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts