World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
this is the email i sent to SWSFC about the problem of litter and fish killing. i will post reply soon as i can.
post reply to post(would a toll on certain venues locally stop the idiots?)
Dear Sir/Madam

I have recently been alerted to many people taking under sized fish, also destroying fish for the sake of it, mainly dogfish/mackerel/whiting etc..

Rubbish is also an extreme problem on many of south wales beach/rock and pier venues.
These problem seems to hit south wales very hard!!!

What can be done about these problems?

do you take control of these matters in any way at all?

do your officers deal with under size fish taking?

do your officers deal with the unnecessary destruction of fish?

why dont the SWSFC do any public awareness reporting about these problems?

as these problems affect all members of public and also all aspects of fish stocks around the uk something needs to be done to control the killing of undersized fish and the litter affecting wildlife and enviroment.

yours sincerly
Darran Roper

·
Team Keens
2,386 Posts
Nice one budd. Will be interesting to see what the response will be???

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
look forward to hearing their excuses like lack of funding so on but the fact is and this has been on the news they only have one mobile fisheries officer to moniter all beach ,rock ,piers estuaries , from the severn bridge to st davids head all other officers are i believe volunteers and can only advise people about keeping killing undersize fish

·
Registered
47 Posts
actually saw a fisheries officer a couple of weeks ago, more concerned with shellfish than fish. oh yeah it was a nice sunny day to be out. funny that. only ever see the boat when it is calm and sunny too

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
look forward to hearing their excuses like lack of funding so on but the fact is and this has been on the news they only have one mobile fisheries officer to moniter all beach ,rock ,piers estuaries , from the severn bridge to st davids head all other officers are i believe volunteers and can only advise people about keeping killing undersize fish
without meaning to be trivial their duristiction is from the rumney river bouy to st cames head

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I think a letter to the local authorities responsible for the public venues in their areas would be more appropriate

the problem is that venues like the barry breakwaters that are litter strewn are illegal to officially fish anyway

the ones that make local anglers look bad that I know of are the knap, porthcawl prom, deeps , witches point, a regular eyesore

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Im know you writing the letter is with good intent but have you considered all the consequences?
My thoughts exactly!!

The keeping/killing of undersize fish is one thing....Not sure the litter problem has anything to do with the SWSFC but may give ammunition to local councils etc to get the so called "problem areas" closed to anglers?

again....I know that all your intentions were good

Matt

·
Premium Member
38,239 Posts
this is the email i sent to SWSFC about the problem of litter and fish killing. i will post reply soon as i can.
post reply to post(would a toll on certain venues locally stop the idiots?)
Dear Sir/Madam

I have recently been alerted to many people taking under sized fish, also destroying fish for the sake of it, mainly dogfish/mackerel/whiting etc..

Rubbish is also an extreme problem on many of south wales beach/rock and pier venues.
These problem seems to hit south wales very hard!!!

What can be done about these problems?

do you take control of these matters in any way at all?

do your officers deal with under size fish taking?

do your officers deal with the unnecessary destruction of fish?

why dont the SWSFC do any public awareness reporting about these problems?

as these problems affect all members of public and also all aspects of fish stocks around the uk something needs to be done to control the killing of undersized fish and the litter affecting wildlife and enviroment.

yours sincerly
Darran Roper
At a guess they may well consider closing all venues to RSAs.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have seen the fisheries guy a few times between Loughor and Port eyenon (on foot in waders), my point is 1 man cant cover much ground. I've seen him twice this season.

He is a keen angler and a tidy guy but unless the authorities invest heavily in fish conservation through education and positive policing then you'll always get retards destroying fish!! (if we shout too loud we'll give cause to sea fishing licences and ID, to help prosecute)!

Anyone walked down Whiteford burrows lately? It looks like a land fill site!!

As for the rubbish - Community service, orange coveralls and set those with a debt to society, of with black bags to clean up our beaches!!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know the state of some venues is real poor.
the only thing we can do really is pick up litter when we see it and dont just add to it, those who litter know who they are and clearly dont care.
unfortunatly there isnt anything we can do about it.

Have you thought more into the consequences of writting letters to the authorities?

The problem with these types of complaint letters is that you are giving them more amunition to throw at us when they try to enforce licenses, permits and more.
the problem well have is that they will charge us to fish and give us nothing in return, they wont replenish fish stocks, they wont walk to all the cliff tops and other fishing marks and help clear up and stuff (but then again if people dont litter in the first place all this could be avoided)

They are bound to respond saying they dont have funding or man power to take care of these situations.

Sorry about the rant but thats my opinion on the matter
let me know what you think

Ben

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Im know you writing the letter is with good intent but have you considered all the consequences?
Yeah i ditto that, as it could have an adverse affect on all RSA's,, as they will tar US with the same brush..

I think you (darren) should have added that you are a recreational sea angler yourself, and most of the damage is done by holiday makers, and occasional anglers, and that most RSA's actually clean up other peoples rubbish when we see it, and that we also practice catch and release on the whole, cos otherwise your letter could turn 'round and bite you on the ar5e,, Tight 'uns,, Marc..

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
For some one who's avatar is mad one - you talk sense mate.
Im all up for the idea of offenders and people on long term benefits with no reason why they cannot work being put to use to clean up the countryside and beaches - maybe then we can all feel that we are getting value for all our taxes and the environment will be better off to - however this is unlikely as all the crowd pleasing gutless politicians wouldnt dream of upsetting the apple cart.

·
Premium Member
38,239 Posts
I have seen the fisheries guy a few times between Loughor and Port eyenon (on foot in waders), my point is 1 man cant cover much ground. I've seen him twice this season.

He is a keen angler and a tidy guy but unless the authorities invest heavily in fish conservation through education and positive policing then you'll always get retards destroying fish!! (if we shout too loud we'll give cause to sea fishing licences and ID, to help prosecute)!

Anyone walked down Whiteford burrows lately? It looks like a land fill site!!

As for the rubbish - Community service, orange coveralls and set those with a debt to society, of with black bags to clean up our beaches!!!!!
A lot of that rubbish will be down to grockles using the beach

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as you all say YES my intetions are good and see points in all that has been said,
i will wait for reply if there is one and post it.
i do feel strongly about the killing of undersized fish and litter as ive even asked to become a volunteer for SWSFC and was turned down as they said they have plenty of staff.
i dont think i will chase up this letter as i think most you are right, it will ROCK THAT VERY UNSTURDY BOAT A BIT TOO MUCH and the authorities will only blame us the "decent and genuine angler" for the mistakes and behaviour of the very few who put a black mark against our sport.
apologies to all if the boat ahs been rocked...but i do stand with my decision and something has to be done to sort out the ars-s-es that do these things and ruin our coastline and seas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
REPLY FROM SWSFC
(thank you to SWSFC for the swift reply)

Dear Mr Roper

Thank you for your email. I know this matter is of wider interest judging by the forum comments posted on worldseafishing.com.

You do not cite any specific occurrences and so it is only possible to comment generally. I would say that if we are to take any action on matters in contravention of fisheries regulations we need the facts, first hand, as soon as possible.

There are indeed many regulations covering the landing of undersized fish and we as a local organization have a joint responsibility with national authorities to enforce them. Where fish are taken below minimum size it is required they are returned to the sea even if they are dead. Discarding of unwanted fish is a problem both industry and regulators are striving to tackle but just as anglers cannot always control what undersized fish takes and perhaps fatally swallows a hook, nor can commercial fishermen always control what undersize fish enter their nets. In both cases the law requires that the fish is discarded and sometimes these fetch up in visible areas.

Litter generally is not within our jurisdiction however our fishing code of practice promulgated in our byelaw booklets and upon our website discourages it along with other bad practices.

Generally, I would invite you to visit our site at www.swsfc.org.uk where a wealth of information on this organization's activities can be found including reports of court actions taken for undersized species. As is often the case I note some people are happy to rush to comment without being aware of the facts.

This organisation deplores the unnecessary destruction of fish whether by anglers or commercial fishermen and we will continue to work to find ways to avoid it. The fishing industry is being encouraged through legislation and other incentives to move away from areas where high discarding takes place. For anglers perhaps the issue is one more for personal judgement. No doubt the death of the two fish you are holding up for the camera on the WSF site was entirely necessary. Scanning the pages of the angling press, I am not sure this is always the case.

Thank you again for your interest.

Yours

Mark Stafford
Deputy Director

1 - 20 of 34 Posts