World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of good cheap lures in Fordy's at the moment.
Fladen stuff, but could easily lose themselves in a crowd of Rapalas or Dexters.

Jointed Rapala-ish lures look good @ £2.50 (can't vouch for the action yet)

Some interesting-looking 'variety packs' of smaller, unusual lures @ £1.99 for 5.

Best are the 38g (non)Dexter wedges (tinted differently/tassled hook, but otherwise identical) ... the thick end of a bluenote for the real thing, a whole ninety nine of your earth pence from Uncle Bri.

And a bonus Question for any of you regular users of artificial toys (Not those, Brauntonian. Now put them away.)

Are the more expensive lures worth the money?
They catch, sure. I've caught with them but I've also caught with homemade crap and Christmas tinsel on bare hooks.

It's not the price itself that bugs me, just the fairly high loss rate when using them off rocks etc. Or are the £10+ ones just best to keep for snag-free surf?

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
I couldn't answer that one Colin cos I've never caught on an artificials from the shore yet!. I've tried various but I love the casting using Dexters so I'll be up there for the copies I reckon. Nice one!!

Also had 2x100M spool of Fladen Mono for £1.49 at the w/end. I got the 25lb?/30lb? stuff and use it for lighter traces etc...
Also Fladen 1/0 trebles.. box of 10 for 49p

Whats with the flat frozen peelers though???

£4.79 I think for 4 the size of a squashed vole!!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's great for all the basic loseable/single-use stuff, hooks, swivels, feathers etc but I'd still take a lot of convincing to buy one of their rods. Line, I'm not sure - then again I've tried the braid with no complaints.
Let us know how it wears, will you?

Yeah, the peeler price is crazy. I've tried one pack (slipped them in the trolley when she wasn't looking) and had little interest from the fish (caught 1 tiny & expensive schoolie)

·
Registered
146 Posts
The fladen jointed lures actually work really well. They are almost identical to a rapala J-13 and work (in my opinion) just as well. Haven't caught anything off them yet though so don't necessarily take my word for it.

Oh yeah, trago do them for £1.79 as well. Sorry Mr Hake.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
thats weird, as my local tackle shop has recently got a load of cheap plugs and wedge type lures.

i,m on the northeast coast. could be from the same supplier.

there was some great looking blue and silver poppers. [ was ]

i grabbed a handfull at £2.50 each and the rest went within minutes.

lots looked only good for pike lures though.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Thanks for the tip 4Fox - having just moved to the area, who and where are Fordy's? :)

ODG
Brian Fords are a discount shopping warehouse (experience?) in Barnstaple. Past Halfords, Pizza Hut, B&Q, The Train Station and on round the corner.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse....ern Brethren Barnstaple Devon EX31 2AS&cat=h

They sell groceries, household items and fishing gear. The stock changes on a regular basis and prices are most often low. Similar to Trago mills but quite a bit less stock and sometimes (as with Trago) you go there and there seems to be very little about.. but sometimes you find a bargain :)

Look Foxy.. you said that without moving your lips :whistling

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
It's great for all the basic loseable/single-use stuff, hooks, swivels, feathers etc but I'd still take a lot of convincing to buy one of their rods.

I've been using one of their Fladen 'Powerstick' beachcasters for about 6 months with no problems. Cheap as chips as well - I think it was about £ 9 -00 or thereabouts. I'd buy another if this one gives up the ghost.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look Foxy.. you said that without moving your lips :whistling
They were paralysed with fear.

:eek:
:eek::eek:
:eek::eek::eek:

I-I-It's... a GIRL!

:) There, ODG.... Poughill has said it all a lot better than I could (but only because of my terrible speech impediments and drunkeness)

Rich, Cornwall might not be 3-0 down if – when we shared a tripod – you had spent more time watching your rod-tip and less studying my muscular, toned but still disturbingly cute buttocks.
:kissing:

I knew all along, of course. I mean, I didn't actually catch you looking, but my cheeks were burning ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts