World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a shock leader sorted and I'm after a tapered one,so do I need to match the thinner end to my mainline? Ie a 60lb-15lb leader,do I need a 15lb mainline for that? Or does it really not matter?
Cheers Kev

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
I use the 70lb - 18lb Varivas tapered leader from Veals. Attach to .35mm line all the time with no worries.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ideal thanks guys,and tapered is better yeh? Or is it personal preference?

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Personal preference. Tapered gives a smaller knot and can catch less weed than parallel shock leader. It also gives you a good length of stronger line to get a fish through the surf if you need to.

OTOH tapered leader is bloody expensive compared to ordinary leader. I only use it over clean ground - anywhere I'm likely to lose a bit of gear I stick to normal parallel 80lb leader.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Problem I got is I'm running 30l braid on one spool,18lb mono on other 2, so maybe tapered be better for my braid as I use that on clean ground beaches, and put parallel on the 2 mono spools? For rough ground?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.